Mumbai comes back from the dead to seal Ranji final berth
Vadodara, Jan 26: Mumbai came back from the brink to defeat Baroda by 63 runs and book a spot in the Ranji Trophy Super league final here.
Chasing a victory target of 237, the hosts folded up for 173 runs in the face of effective medium pace bowling from Abhishek Nair (3-38), Wilkin Mota (3-36), Rajesh Verma (2-40) and Swapnil Hazare (2-41).
Earlier, resuming at their overnight score of 109 for seven, Mumbai`s second innings finished at 145.
The remaining three wickets fell quickly with Vinayak Samant contributing a resilient 66 in 136 balls, which included eight boundaries.
Irfan Pathan and Rakesh Patel finished with match figures of 7-123 and 7-87 respectively.
Baroda had only themselves to blame as they let the 36-time Ranji winners off the hook from a catastrophic 0 for five and then 17 for 6 in the second innings yesterday.
Baroda openers Satyajit Parab and Connor Williams failed to give a solid foundation and were back in the pavilion with only 30 runs on the board.
Rakesh Solanki (22) and skipper Jacob Martin teamed up to raise hopes but their stand was broken with the scoreaboard reading 63. Rakesh, who hit five fours, was bowled by Mota.
Baroda wickets kept tumbling at regular intervals and there was no significant partnership to stem the rot.
Irfan Pathan (27) and Pinal Shah gave some stability with a 30-run stand for the fifth wicket but hopes vanished when the latter was caught behind by Samant off Mota.
Yusuf Pathan, who played a stellar innings of 70 in Baroda`s first innings, and Rajesh Pawar (22) added 33 runs for the eighth wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says