Rajasthan, Mumbai clubbed in easy group for Ranji Trophy
New Delhi: Defending champions Rajasthan and 39-time champions Mumbai have been clubbed in a relative easy Group A for the upcoming Ranji Trophy starting on November 2.
As announced earlier, the season will start with Ranji Champions Rajasthan taking on Rest of India in an Irani Trophy match at the Sawai Man Singh Stadium in Jaipur from September 21-25.
National ODI champions Bengal will be making their debut in the NKP Salve Challenge Series by virtue of winning Vijay Hazare Trophy.
According to a press release issued by the BCCI, Group A which consists of Rajasthan and Mumbai is easier among the two groups containing erstwhile Elite teams. Bengal, Hyderabad, Saurashtra, MP, Railways, Punjab and Gujarat are the seven other teams in group A.
The `Group of Death` certainly is group B which has four top teams in Tamil Nadu, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka along with Baroda and last year`s semi-finalists Haryana. Maharashtra and Vidarbha who were in Plate Group last year has been elevated to Group B. Odisha, although were wooden spooners in the group league stage of last year`s Elite league are in the same group.
The Group C consists of all Plate Group teams. As per new rule, three teams each from Group A and B along with two teams from Group C will make it to the knock-out stage due to be played in January 2013.
The Raj Singh Dungarpur Corporate Trophy will be played after Ranji Trophy final unlike earlier years when it used to be season opening tournament.
The season will end with the limited-overs tournaments -- the inter-state One-Day, the Vijay Hazare Trophy, the Deodhar Trophy, and finally, the inter-state T20 League and Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
Group A: (1) Rajasthan (2) Mumbai (3) Hyderabad (4) Madhya Pradesh (5) Saurashtra (6) Railways (7) Bengal (8) Punjab (9) Gujarat
Group B: (1) Tamil Nadu (2) Haryana (3) Maharashtra (4) Karnataka (5) Uttar Pradesh (6) Baroda (7) Delhi (8) Vidarbha (9) Odisha
Group C: - (1) Himachal Pradesh (2) Kerala (3) Andhra Pradesh (4) Services (5) Tripura (6) Goa (7) Jharkhand (8) Jammu & Kashmir (9) Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in