Rajasthan will give a good fight against Mumbai: Chopra
Jaipur: Former India opener and now Rajasthan player Aakash Chopra on Wednesday said his side has the wherewithal to give a good fight against defending champions Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal match starting here on Friday.
“It would be a good match. Mumbai is traditionally strong side. They play cricket hard way and have a balanced side. But we too have been performing well and I feel we have a fair chance to beat them,” Chopra, who scored a triple hundred in the plate group semifinal match against Maharashtra, told reporters.
Chopra said the triple hundred against Maharashtra had come at the right time as it has helped in propelling Rajasthan to Elite group.
“I knew one innings could have propelled Rajasthan to Ranji Trophy quarterfinals. It came at the right time which was a bonus,” he said.
He, however, would not read his triple hundred much in terms of taking him into contention for a slot in the Indian team.
“I don’t know that I am back in contention but I still feel that I am as fit as ever physically and mentally too. My job is score runs and rest is up to the selectors but I feel I am still good enough,” he said.
When reminded that Delhi Cricketers have a knack for scoring triple hundreds, Akash smiled and said, “Yes, after Raman Lamba and Veranda Sehwag I am also in that league now.”
Chopra gave credit for the fine show by Rajasthan to the RCA officials.
“The fact that we are in quarterfinals is result of careful planning. Since Tarak Sinha joined RCA as Director Cricket coaching, he has been working out the minute details. The selection of professionals like me, Hrishikesh Kanitkar and Rashmiranjan Parida was too under strategy and long term scheme of things. I am happy that everything fell into place. Others like, Deepak Chahar, Vineet Saxena and Robin Bisht have also performed creditably.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?