Rajasthan will give a good fight against Mumbai: Chopra
Jaipur: Former India opener and now Rajasthan player Aakash Chopra on Wednesday said his side has the wherewithal to give a good fight against defending champions Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal match starting here on Friday.
“It would be a good match. Mumbai is traditionally strong side. They play cricket hard way and have a balanced side. But we too have been performing well and I feel we have a fair chance to beat them,” Chopra, who scored a triple hundred in the plate group semifinal match against Maharashtra, told reporters.
Chopra said the triple hundred against Maharashtra had come at the right time as it has helped in propelling Rajasthan to Elite group.
“I knew one innings could have propelled Rajasthan to Ranji Trophy quarterfinals. It came at the right time which was a bonus,” he said.
He, however, would not read his triple hundred much in terms of taking him into contention for a slot in the Indian team.
“I don’t know that I am back in contention but I still feel that I am as fit as ever physically and mentally too. My job is score runs and rest is up to the selectors but I feel I am still good enough,” he said.
When reminded that Delhi Cricketers have a knack for scoring triple hundreds, Akash smiled and said, “Yes, after Raman Lamba and Veranda Sehwag I am also in that league now.”
Chopra gave credit for the fine show by Rajasthan to the RCA officials.
“The fact that we are in quarterfinals is result of careful planning. Since Tarak Sinha joined RCA as Director Cricket coaching, he has been working out the minute details. The selection of professionals like me, Hrishikesh Kanitkar and Rashmiranjan Parida was too under strategy and long term scheme of things. I am happy that everything fell into place. Others like, Deepak Chahar, Vineet Saxena and Robin Bisht have also performed creditably.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir