Rajasthan will give a good fight against Mumbai: Chopra
Jaipur: Former India opener and now Rajasthan player Aakash Chopra on Wednesday said his side has the wherewithal to give a good fight against defending champions Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal match starting here on Friday.
“It would be a good match. Mumbai is traditionally strong side. They play cricket hard way and have a balanced side. But we too have been performing well and I feel we have a fair chance to beat them,” Chopra, who scored a triple hundred in the plate group semifinal match against Maharashtra, told reporters.
Chopra said the triple hundred against Maharashtra had come at the right time as it has helped in propelling Rajasthan to Elite group.
“I knew one innings could have propelled Rajasthan to Ranji Trophy quarterfinals. It came at the right time which was a bonus,” he said.
He, however, would not read his triple hundred much in terms of taking him into contention for a slot in the Indian team.
“I don’t know that I am back in contention but I still feel that I am as fit as ever physically and mentally too. My job is score runs and rest is up to the selectors but I feel I am still good enough,” he said.
When reminded that Delhi Cricketers have a knack for scoring triple hundreds, Akash smiled and said, “Yes, after Raman Lamba and Veranda Sehwag I am also in that league now.”
Chopra gave credit for the fine show by Rajasthan to the RCA officials.
“The fact that we are in quarterfinals is result of careful planning. Since Tarak Sinha joined RCA as Director Cricket coaching, he has been working out the minute details. The selection of professionals like me, Hrishikesh Kanitkar and Rashmiranjan Parida was too under strategy and long term scheme of things. I am happy that everything fell into place. Others like, Deepak Chahar, Vineet Saxena and Robin Bisht have also performed creditably.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured