Abdulla`s all-round show guides Mumbai to 17-run win
Pune: Left-arm spinners Iqbal Abdulla and Ankeet Chavan took three each as Ranji champions Mumbai defeated Baroda by 17 runs in their limited-overs Vijay Hazare Trophy (West Zone) match here today.
Sent into bat, Mumbai were all out for 236 in 49.5 overs, and then restricted Baroda to 219 for nine at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium.
Abdulla picked up three for 44 while Chavan returned figures of three for 45. There were two wickets for skipper Ajit Agarkar
Ambati Rayudu top-scored for Baroda with a knock of 52 while Aditya Waghmode made 42.
Despite getting a decent start with the openers -- Saurabh Wakaskar (31) and Aditya Reddy (38) -- putting on 61 runs, Baroda failed to chase down the target.
After Rayudu`s dismissal to Abdulla, none of the Baroda could contribute.
Earlier, Mumbai relied on Shoaibh Shaikh (51) and the experienced Wasim Jaffer (42) to give them a platform.
Before his effort with ball, Abdulla contributed with the bat as well, scoring an invaluable 39-ball 43 and giving his team`s total a semblance of respectability.
Abdulla struck two fours and as many sixes during his breezy knock, which proved to be the difference eventually.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown