After debut double, Jiwanjot now grinds listless Bengal
Mohali: After his dream first-class debut where he got a double hundred against Hyderabad, young Punjab opener Jiwanjot Singh scored another matured hundred in his second game as Punjab are on their way to bat Bengal out of the second round Ranji Trophy encounter, here on Saturday.
Replying to Bengal`s first innings score of 326, Jiwanjot who is batting on 102 in company of another centurion Mayank Sidhana (107 batting, 190 balls, 17x4) grinded a pedestrian Bengal attack as home team reached a formidable 229 for one at stumps.
While Punjab need another 98 runs to take first innings lead, they would ideally look to consolidate and build on the start they have got and push for an innings victory.
For Bengal, it will be an arduous task to save the match as Rahul Sharma could prove to be a handful on a fourth day track where Manoj Tiwary will have to shoulder the responsibility of saving the match.
The Jiwanjot-Sidhana`s second wicket unbeaten stand has yielded 206 runs. The sardar from Patiala has hit 10 fours and concentrated hard during his 201-ball knock that had 10 boundaries.
Bengal`s pace trio of Ashoke Dinda (0/66 from 20 overs), Saurav Sarkar (0/32 in 11 overs) and Veer Pratap Singh (0/36 in 8 overs) never looked penetrative.
Sarkar, who primarily bowls inswing failed to beat the two batsmen even once during his spell. A lot was expected off Dinda but he also failed to deliver the goods. The two batsmen were in complete control and dictated the proceedings for the better part of the 70 overs.
Earlier, Wriddhiman Saha became the second Bengal batsmen of the season to miss a century after Subhamoy Das as he was dismissed for 98 with Bengal ending their first innings at 326. Leggie Rahul Sharma who went for 50 runs in his 11 overs came back today to finish with four for 53.
Brief Scores: Bengal 1st Innings 326 (Wriddhiman Saha 98, LR Shukla 62, Rahul Sharma 4/53).
Punjab 229/1 (Jiwanjot Singh 102 batting, M Sidhana 107 batting).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks