Agarkar named to lead Mumbai in 4 Ranji games
Mumbai: Former India pacer Ajit Agarkar was today named Mumbai Ranji team captain for the first four Ranji league games, starting November 2.
"Ajit Agarkar has been selected as captain of Mumbai Team for the first four league matches of Ranji Trophy," said MCA`s joint secretary and selection panel convener Nitin Dalal.
Dalal did not give any particular reason for keeping Agarkar at the helm for only the first four games and not for the entire season, as is the customary practice.
"That`s what the selection committee panel decided today," Dalal said.
The selection panel is headed by Sandeep Patil, recently elevated as the chairman of the national senior selection committee, with Abey Kuruvilla, Deepak Jadhav and Rajesh Sutar as its other members.
Mumbai start their Ranji campaign at home against Railways in Group A on November 2.
The Mumbai selectors also named Sarvesh Damle as the under-25 team captain for the entire season.
Mumbai would open their campaign in Col. C K Nayudu Elite Group C league against Madhya Pradesh at Indore from October 19 to 22.
India opener Ajinkya Rahane has been included in the team to play the first game "to gain valuable practice" ahead of the Test series against England, according to Dalal.
"He wanted some practice and we have included him in the under 25 team," Dalal said.
Mumbai under 25 squad: Sarvesh Damle (Capt), Ajinkya Rahane, Kaustubh Pawar, Swapnil Salvi, Bravish Shetty, Siddhesh Lad, Nikhil Patil (Jr), Aditya Tare, Neelkanth Parab, Oninder Singh, Sagar Gorivale, Javed Khan, Pratik Dabholkar, Mohammed Amir and Shardul Thakur.
Coach: Vilas Godbole; Manager: Deepak Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow