Agarkar named to lead Mumbai in 4 Ranji games
Mumbai: Former India pacer Ajit Agarkar was today named Mumbai Ranji team captain for the first four Ranji league games, starting November 2.
"Ajit Agarkar has been selected as captain of Mumbai Team for the first four league matches of Ranji Trophy," said MCA`s joint secretary and selection panel convener Nitin Dalal.
Dalal did not give any particular reason for keeping Agarkar at the helm for only the first four games and not for the entire season, as is the customary practice.
"That`s what the selection committee panel decided today," Dalal said.
The selection panel is headed by Sandeep Patil, recently elevated as the chairman of the national senior selection committee, with Abey Kuruvilla, Deepak Jadhav and Rajesh Sutar as its other members.
Mumbai start their Ranji campaign at home against Railways in Group A on November 2.
The Mumbai selectors also named Sarvesh Damle as the under-25 team captain for the entire season.
Mumbai would open their campaign in Col. C K Nayudu Elite Group C league against Madhya Pradesh at Indore from October 19 to 22.
India opener Ajinkya Rahane has been included in the team to play the first game "to gain valuable practice" ahead of the Test series against England, according to Dalal.
"He wanted some practice and we have included him in the under 25 team," Dalal said.
Mumbai under 25 squad: Sarvesh Damle (Capt), Ajinkya Rahane, Kaustubh Pawar, Swapnil Salvi, Bravish Shetty, Siddhesh Lad, Nikhil Patil (Jr), Aditya Tare, Neelkanth Parab, Oninder Singh, Sagar Gorivale, Javed Khan, Pratik Dabholkar, Mohammed Amir and Shardul Thakur.
Coach: Vilas Godbole; Manager: Deepak Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender