Assam reduce Andhra to 214 for eight on day one
Guwahati: Assam bowlers put up a great performance to reduce Andhra to 214 for eight at the end of the first day`s play in their Ranji Trophy Group C match here today.
Despite half-centuries by Amol Muzumdar (82 not out) and Bodapati Sumanth (57), Assam managed to take the upper hand after day one.
Arup Das was the pick of the wicket with impressive figures of three for 56, while J Syed Mohammad (2/26) and Abu Nechim (2/63) claimed two each.
After putting Andhra in to bat, the hosts` wrecked havoc, dismissing both the openers -- Murumulla Sriram and Prasanth Kumar -- for a duck each, as well as the one-down batsman Syed Sahabuddin (10).
However, Sumanth and Muzumdar came up with solid resistance and helped steady the boat.
The duo shared a 80-run stand for the fourth wicket before Sumanth departed for a 110-ball 57, studded with 10 fours.
After Sumanth`s dismissal, Assam quickly added two more wickets to their kitty before Rajesh Pawar (37) played a responsible knock and gave Muzumdar a good support.
Muzumdar and Pawar put on a 65-run stand for the seventh wicket to take Andhra past 200-run mark.
At stumps, Muzumdar had remained not out and at the other end Shaik Basha was yet to open his account.
Andhra: 214 for eight in 74 overs (Amol Muzumdar batting 82, Bodapati Sumanth 57; Arup Das 3/56, Syed Mohammad 2/26, Abu Nechim 2/63).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!