Awana gets five again as Delhi dismiss Karnataka for 192
Bangalore: Speedster Parvinder Awana got his second consecutive five-wicket haul as Delhi skittled out Karnataka for a paltry 192 in a Ranji Trophy Group league encounter at the Chinnaswamy Stadium on Saturday.
Awana, who got a five-for against Haryana at Lahli in the last game, got his eighth five-wicket haul in his 41st first-class game as hosts` decision to bat on a seaming track backfired.
At stumps, Delhi reached 44 for two losing the wickets of Unmukt Chand and Mohit Sharma for 1 and 0, respectively. Both wickets were taken by H S Sharath.
Skipper Shikhar Dhawan looked in good touch and is batting on 38 with Mithun Manhas for company.
With Karnataka languishing at the bottom of the nine-team table, it was a foregone conclusion that they wanted a result oriented wicket and a track aiding seamers was doled out.
Ashish Nehra, who has always been dangerous in favourable conditions, got Robin Uthappa out of the equation in the very first over with a ball that came back in and trapped him leg before. Uthappa managed only four.
Seasoned Ganesh Sathish scored 12 before nicking one from Sumit Narwal to Puneet Bisht behind the stumps.
Awana then cleaned up Lokesh Rahul and before the home team could reach 70, their top-order was polished off.
Stuart Binny who was the top-scorer with 61 tried to defy the odds as he added 46 runs for the seventh wicket with his skipper Ranganath Vinay Kumar (28), but that certainly wasn`t enough.
Awana got the ball to move both ways after pitching as he dismissed Rahul, KP Appanna and Abhimanyu Mithun with deliveries that either came in or held its line after pitching. He got the experienced Binny and wicketkeeper CM Gautham with ones that left the right-handers.
Delhi now need 149 runs to get the lead but Dhawan and Co will be looking to put up a reasonable score which would enable them to enforce an outright win.
Having lost two away matches, Delhi need six points desperately in order to stay in contention for a quarter-final berth.
Karnataka 192 in 65 overs (Stuart Binny 61, Parvinder Awana 5/81).
Delhi 44 for 2 in 15 overs (Shikhar Dhawan batting 38).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row