Awate slams ton on debut to take Maharashtra to 222/3
Nagpur: Opener Virag Awate smashed an unbeaten century on debut to guide Maharashtra to 227 for three against Vidarbha at stumps on the opening day of their Ranji Trophy Goup B match here on Saturday.
Awate made his entry into the first-class arena in style with a 111-run unconquered knock that came off 302 balls. The 31-year-old batsman from Thane decorated his innings with as many as 15 hits to the fence.
Awate shared a 94-run second wicket stand with Sangram Dilip Atitkar (45) to form the base of Maharashtra`s total after skipper Rohit Motwani won the toss and elected to bat.
At close, skipper Motwani was the other not out batsman at crease and alongwith Awate, he had already stitched unbroken 72 runs for the fourth wicket.
For Vidarbha, captain and veteran leg-spinner Sairaj Bahutule picked up two wickets for 55 runs while the other Maharashtra batsman -- Harshad Khadiwale -- fell in the form of run out.
Maharashtra: 227 for three in 90 overs (Virag Awate 111 not out, Sangram Dilip Atitkar 45; Sairaj Bahutule 2/55).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars