Behera, Samantray centuries give Odisha upper hand
Sambalpur: Niranjan Behera and Biplab Samantray struck a century each as Odisha took the first innings lead on the third day of their Ranji Trophy group league match against Maharashtra on Monday.
Niranjan (103) and Samantray (107) combine ensured that Odisha took a 126-run first innings lead to get the uper hand in the Group B match at the Veer Surendra Sai Stadium.
Odisha were all out for 441 in 129 overs after resuming the day on 237 for three in reply to Maharashtra`s first innings 315 all out.
Niranjan and Samantray, the two overnight batsmen, denied a breakthrough for more than 30 overs in the day before the former was out. The duo stitched 121 runs for fourth wicket. Niranjan`s 103 came from 254 balls and contained 11 fours.
Samantray took charge from there and he had another fruitful stand of 109 runs with Deepak Behera (49) for the sixth wicket.
Samantray was the ninth Odisha batsman out and his 107 came from 231 balls and contained 17 fours.
For Maharashtra, pacer Samad Fallah took three wickets today while Chirag Khurana chipped in with two wickets.
In their second essay, Maharashtra were 73 for one with opener Harshad Khadiwale batting on 43 while Sangram Dilp Atitkar giving him company on 24.
Maharashtra were trailing by 53 runs with nine second innings wickets intact at the draw of stumps.
Maharashtra: 315 and 73 for one in 26 overs (Harshad Khadiwale batting 43).
Odisha: 441 all out in 129 overs (Niranjan Behera 103, Biplab Samantray 107; Samad Fallah 3/118).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa