Bengal get three points as Bist shines for Rajasthan on Day 4
Jaipur: A handy first innings lead of 82 runs proved to be crucial as visitors Bengal walked away three points against Rajasthan in a Ranji Trophy Group B league encounter that concluded at the Sawai Man Singh Stadium.
It was a drab final day as Rajasthan declared after scoring 257 for five in 106 overs with Robin Bist contributing 75. Bengal were given a stiff target of 176 in 24 overs but the match was called off after the second mandatory over as visitors scored 25 for one.
Starting the day at 62 for one, it was day of survival for the Rajasthan team as they lost experienced opener Vineet Saxena (35) having added 66 runs with Bist for the second wicket. Saxena edged one to Subhomoy Das in the slips off Shiv Shankar Paul`s bowling.
Ashok Menaria (17) nicked one from Laxmi Ratan Shukla to Wriddhiman Saha behind the stumps while Rajesh Bishnoi (7) was trapped leg before by off-spinner Sourashis Lahiri.
At 130 for four, Rajasthan were just 48 runs ahead with only six wickets remaining. However Bist along with T20 specialist Dishant Yagnik (66 not out) added invaluable 60 runs for the fifth wicket but more importantly played out 23.3 overs which ended Bengal`s hopes of an outright win.
Pace spearhead Ashoke Dinda`s failure to get a single wicket was one of the primary reason for Bengal failing to enforce an outright result. Dinda either bowled too many short balls or too full as batsmen found him tad too predictable.
Bist`s six hour vigil finally ended when he gave a bat pad catch to Rohan Banerjee off Lahiri`s bowling. The former India A player hit seven boundaries in his 226-ball knock.
By the time, Bist was dismissed, Rajasthan has ensured that they will end up with a point from the match. Yagnik along with Mumbai veteran Ramesh Powar added 67 runs for the unbroken sixth wicket stand. Yagnik`s innings contained five boundaries having faced 154 balls in the process.
For Bengal, Wriddhiman Saha and Rohan Banerjee`s good form, Lahiri`s useful all-round show were the positives before they take on Madhya Pradesh in a home game from November 14.
Brief Scores: Rajasthan 244 & 257/5 decl (Robin Bist 75, Dishant Yagnik 66, Sourashis Lahiri 2/49)
Bengal 326 & 25/1. Match Drawn. Pts: Bengal 3, Rajasthan 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead