Brilliant Manhas puts Delhi in commanding position
New Delhi: Senior pro Mithun Manhas played a brilliant innings on a poor Feroz Shah Kotla pitch as Delhi look well and truly on their way to notching up their first outright win in the second round Ranji Trophy encounter against Odisha.
Manhas hit the 21st first-class century of his career as Delhi finished their first innings at 331 taking a sizeable lead of 188 runs. Odisha were 7 for no loss in their second essay but it will be very difficult for the visitors to survive on a track which is deteriorating with time.
The 33-year-old Manhas batted for more than six and half hours for his unbeaten 161 on a pitch where most of the deliveries kept low and there was some swing for the seamers which is par for the course in the northern part of the country. Manhas hit 26 boundaries and faced 273 deliveries.
All-rounder Sumit Narwal should also be lauded for his useful innings of 66 off 95 balls which had eight boundaries and a six off off-spinner Govind Poddar.
Manhas and Narwal added 139 runs for the seventh wicket but more importantly beefed up the total to put Delhi in a winning position.
Manhas` innings was an education for the youngsters like Mohit Sharma and Milind Kumar who couldn`t adapt to the situation.
The former Delhi skipper was prepared to leave a lot of deliveries outside off-stump but at the same time played some beautiful late-cuts off slow bowlers Dheeraj Singh and Poddar.
When Alok Mangaraj tried to dig in short, he was in perfect position to play the horizontal bat shots.
The century he hit today was the 19th in Ranji Trophy and he is now only third in the list of highest Ranji Trophy centurions for Delhi behind Ajay Sharma (31) and late Raman Lamba (23).
Brief Scores: Orissa 143 & 7/0.
Delhi 1st innings 331 (Mithun Manhas 161 no, S Narwal 66, Basant Mohanty 4/81).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation