D Y Patil to host first-ever first class game in December
Mumbai: D Y Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai, which has hosted two IPL finals in the past, will be hosting its first-ever first class cricket match when Mumbai take on West Zone rivals Gujarat in their final Ranji Trophy Group A fixture at the end of this year.
The December 29 to January 1 Ranji tie between Mumbai and Gujarat could not be held at the Wankhede Stadium as some other event has already been scheduled at the venue during that time.
"The Wankhede Stadium is not available to host the game because of the three-day All India University Convention, which is to be held there following a letter we have received from the Union Government," Nitin Dalal, joint secretary of the Mumbai Cricket Association, said.
Dalal clarified that nearby Cricket Club of India`s Brabourne Stadium is also not available as the club members would be celebrating New Year`s Eve on December 31.
"Our BKC ground is also not available as we have to conduct U-19 ties during that period," Dalal said.
D Y Patil Stadium has hosted several IPL matches, including the finals of 2008 and 2010, and was also to host a ODI against Australia a few years ago but the match was washed out.
Meanwhile, another faraway venue, Palghar, would probably host the West Zone women`s Twenty20 games as no other grounds are available, Dalal indicated.
"There are two grounds in Palghar (on the Western Railway line beyond Virar), including the one owned by Reliance. We can, in fact, have two matches daily there," Dalal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir