Desperate Delhi pushing for an outright win against Vidarbha
Nagpur: Delhi bowlers produced a collective effort as they enforced follow-on upon Vidarbha on the third day of their crucial final group B league encounter of the Ranji Trophy at the OLD VDCA ground here on Monday.
In reply to Delhi`s mammoth first innings score of 523 for nine declared, hosts were all out for 257 thereby conceding a huge lead of 266 runs. Being put into bat again, Vidarbha were one for no loss at stumps.
Today, none of the Vidarbha batsmen save veteran Hemang Badani (68) could make an impact. Pacers Sumit Narwal, Pradeep Sangwan, left-arm spinner Vikas Mishra and all-rounder Rajat Bhatia took two wickets apiece while fast bowler Vikas Tokas got another wicket.
Shikhar Dhawan and co will be aiming to record an innings victory which will take them to 24 points and ensure a smooth passage into the knock-out stages. Even if they get six points, it would mean that they finish on 23 points and would even qualify in that case.
While Uttar Pradesh with 33 points emerged as group champions, Baroda with 22 points also have very good chance of qualifying through to the next stage.
In case, Delhi only manage to get three points and finish on 20, they would expect Maharashtra to deny Karnataka an outright win so that the southern state finishes on 18 points.
Karnataka if they record an outright win will end up on 21 points and in case of innings win will end on 22 points. If Karnataka end on 22 points and have a margin of an innings and 1 run-win, they will have a better run-quotient than Baroda as both have same number of outright wins.
The bootomline is Delhi need an outright win to get rid of any other mathematical possibility out of their way.
Brief Scores: Delhi 523/9 dec.
Vidarbha 257 (Hemang Badani 68, Sumit Narwal 2/27, Vikas Mishrs 2/38) & 1/0 (f/o).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday