Fan breaches security to greet Tendulkar during Ranji semis
New Delhi: An over-enthusiastic young fan on Sunday escaped the eyes of the Airforce Police deployed at the Palam ground and entered the field of play to greet Sachin Tendulkar, who is playing for Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy semi-final against Services.
For the first four days, civilians were not allowed to enter the venue as most of them clung onto the ground railing to watch Tendulkar`s every movement. On Sunday, the gates were opened for the general public and around 500-odd spectators entered the ground.
The incident occured in the post-tea session when a young man in his mid-20`s suddenly raced towards Tendulkar, who was fielding at the mid-on position.
Gauging his enthusiasm, Tendulkar offered to shake hands but the fan touched his feet, leaving the senior cricketer a trifle embarrassed. The Airforce policemen then caught hold of the man and brought him outside the ground.
"He was an over-enthusiastic fan. We scolded the boy and gave him stern warning," Air Commodore Baladitya said.
This is the second time in successive games that a fan had invaded the ground to greet Tendulkar.
In the Ranji Trophy quarter-final against Baroda, a middle-aged man entered the Wankhede Stadium to touch Tendulkar`s feet after he reached the three-figure mark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog