Gautam double ton in Karnataka`s massive total
Pune: Muralidharen Gautam smashed a brilliant double hundred to become the season`s leading run scorer as Karnataka declared their first innings at a massive 572 for nine on the second day of their last Ranji Trophy group league match here on Sunday.
The wicket-keeper batsman remained not out on 264 (464 balls; 32X4, 1X6), his second double ton in three matches. His total run tally this Ranji season has risen to 912 and he surpassed Parthiv Patel during today`s innings. He had scored 257 against Vidarbha two matches back in Mysore.
Gautam was ably supported by captain Stuart Binny, who hit a 272-ball 168 with the help of 19 fours and two sixes. The duo put on 340 runs for the fifth wicket to take control of the Group B match at Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium.
Resuming at 306 for four, the visitors added 266 runs today in 69.5 overs for the loss of five wickets with Gautam and Binny scoring the bulk of the runs.
After Binny was out in the second session, Gautam carried on and stitched another 98 runs for the sixth wicket with Amit Verma (42) to take Karnataka`s score past 500.
For Maharashtra, pacer Samad Fallah was the most successful bowler of the day as he bagged two wickets, including that of Binny which broke the big partnership for the fifth wicket.
In reply, Maharashtra were 58 for one in 16 overs with Harshad Khadiwale and Sangram Dilp Atitkar batting on 31 and six respectively.
Karnataka 1st Innings: 572 for 9 decl in 158.5 overs (Muralidharen Gautam 264 not out, Stuart Binny 168; Samad Fallah 2/82).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre