Gujarat recover to reach 230/6 after early strikes by Bengal
Kolkata: An undefeated 66-run seventh wicket partnership between left-hander Manpreet Juneja and seasoned Rakesh Dhruv helped Gujarat reach 230 for six against Bengal on a curtailed opening day of a third round Ranji Trophy encounter.
Due to bad light, only 73 overs of play was possible on the day as Bengal bowlers had Gujarat on the mat at 164 for six before Juneja-Dhruv carried out a recovery act.
For Gujarat, the two Patels, Parthiv and Smit played scored contrasting half centuries. While Parthiv smashed his way to 67 ball 61 which had 12 fours, the current India U-19 glovesman hit a patient 67 off 124 balls with seven hits to the fence. The duo added 95 runs for the third wicket after seamer Sourav Sarkar had removed opener Priyank Panchal and No 3 Niraj Patel for low scores.
Parthiv punished all the Bengal bowlers with Ashoke Dinda going for 60 runs as the pint-sized wicketkeeper-batsman smote him to all parts of the ground. Smit on the other hand was patient and waited for the loose deliveries.
It was left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena who removed Parthiv when he edged one to Wriddhiman Saha behind the stumps.
Dinda finally got a wicket when he cleaned up veteran Y Venugopala Rao (4) and Smit finally lost his patience after scoring the third half century of the season.
It was Shami who induced an edge off Smit`s blade and gave Wriddhiman his third catch. Bengal`s best bowler Sarkar (3/57) then got rid of Rujul Bhat as he was taken by Anustup Majumdar. For the last 20 overs, Bengal bowlers couldn`t dislodge the JUneja-Dhruv pair and would like to keep the first innings score under 300.
Brief Scores: Gujarat 230/6 (Smit Patel 67, Parthiv Patel 61, Sourav Sarkar 3/57) vs Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked