Harbhajan, Sandeep, Siddarth script fall of Gujarat
Valsad (Gujarat): Struggling India spinner regained some of the lost touch with a three-wicket haul as Punjab restricted Gujarat to 261 for nine on the opening day of their Ranji Trophy Group A match, here today.
Not only Harbhajan but paceman Sandeep Sharma and Siddarth Kaul also took three wickets each after Punjab opted to field at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium.
None of the Gujarat batsmen could score a half-century but some gritty batting by the lower-order players ensured that the hosts have something on the board to fight for.
At the top, opener Samit Gohel (41) and Manprit Juneja (42) batted well but Harbhajan caused a middle-order collapse by dismissing Gohel, rival skipper Parthiv Patel (22) and Y Venugopal Rao (13).
Gohel and Juneja had added 79 runs for the second wicket when Kaul had Juneja caught behind for his second wicket. Kaul had earlier provided the first breakthrough by bowling opener Smit Patel (18)
Harbhajan then sent back Gohel and Patel and later Rao.
From a comfortable 107 for two, Gujarat were struggling at 173 for seven but Jasel Karia (40) and Rush Kalaria (40) rescued the side with a 84-run stand.
Kaul broke the partnership and took his third wicket when he had Karia caught behind. Punjab stumper Uday Kaul took four catches behind the wicket.
Gujarat 1st innings: 261 for nine in 90 overs. (M Juneja 42, S Gohel 41; Sandeep Sharma 3/40, Harbhajan Singh 3/61).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon