Haryana fight back, stretch match to final day
Rohtak: Jayant Yadav (66) hit a belligerent half-century as Haryana put on a much improved show by setting up a 148-run target and then taking three Odisha wickets on the third day of their Ranji Trophy match, here on Monday.
After folding for a humiliating 66 in the first innings, Haryana scored 300 in their second innings, courtesy good batting by their lower-middle order.
Chasing 148 for an outright win, Odisha ended the day at 60 for three with Govind Podder (19) at the crease.
Resuming at 165 for six, Haryana added 155 more runs in the day as Yadav scored 66 runs and shared a superb 72-runs stand for the ninth wicket with Mohit Sharma (28).
Their partnership and a useful cameo by Chanderpal Saini (15) gave Haryana bowlers something to fight for.
Haryana lost Abhimanyu Khod (74), who added 18 runs to his overnight total, in the first session of the day. Yadav though continued to fight from the other end and was the last man out.
Yadav`s 66 came off 148 balls as he batted for three hours and 37 minutes. He helped himself with four boundaries.
Continuing with the fighting spirit, Haryana bowlers then did a good job by knocking out three top-order batsmen.
Mohit Sharma drew the first blood when he had opener and rival skipper Natraj Behera (17) caught by Rahul Dewan.
Chanderpal Saini then trapped the other opener Sandeep Mulia (12) to put pressure on the visitors.
Jayant Yadav dismissed Biplab Samantray (8) in his first over in the fag end to end the day on a high for the hosts.
Haryana 66 and 300 all out in 129.2 overs. (A Khod 74, J Yadav 66; B Mohanty 4/57)
Odisha 219 and 60 for 3 in 24.3 overs. (G Podder 19 batting; J Yadav 1/4).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...