Haryana staring at innings defeat against Maharashtra
Pune: Haryana were 75 for two in their second essay and will be looking to avoid an innings defeat when they take the field tomorrow as they still trail Maharashtra by 208 runs at the end of third day`s play in the Ranji Trophy Group `B` match here on Monday.
In reply to Haryana`s first innings total of 257, Maharashtra added 238 runs to their overnight score before declaring at 540 for 8, thereby ensuring three points for the hosts on account of the first-innings lead of 283 runs.
But with a full day to go and Haryana still needing 208 runs with eight wickets in hand to catch their opponent`s score in the first essay, Maharashtra will undoubtedly be eyeing an innings defeat tomorrow.
Sunny Singh (29) and Abhimanyu Khod (10) were at the crease when stumps were drawn. Both the Haryana openers, Nitin Saini (22) and Rahul Dewan (8), fell for the addition of 32 runs in the second innings at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium.
Earlier, Sangram Dilp Atitkar (190) continued from where he left yesterday and added 72 runs to his overnight score before he was caught by Jayant Yadav off Ashish Hooda. Atitkar struck 24 fours and a six in his 348-ball stay at the crease.
After the fall of Rohit Motwani (11) in the day`s first over, Atitkar, in the company of Kedhar Jadhav (109), stitched a 188-run partnership for the fifth wicket to take the team close to 500-run mark.
Both resorted to some aggressive brand of batting to swell Maharashtra`s lead on a placid wicket.
Jadhav`s 138-ball show was laced with 17 fours and a six.
Chirag Khurana (31 not out) made useful contribution down the order to help the hosts tighten their grip on the match.
For Haryana, pacers Mohit Sharma and Harshal Patel and leg spinner Amit Mishra picked up two wickets apiece while Ashish Hooda and Jayant Yadav accounted for one wicket each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says