Jharkhand and Delhi share points as match abandoned
Jamshedpur: Hosts Jharkhand and Delhi shared a point each after the four-day Group A Ranji Trophy match was abandoned without a ball being bowled on the concluding day at Keenan stadium here on Wednesday.
The play was not possible in the last four days due to sluggish outfield even though there was no rain since Sunday.
The umpires inspected the wicket last at 12 noon and called off the match.
Meanwhile, a moderate crowd, which had turned up to have glimpses of the star cricketers such as Delhi captain and out- of-favour Indian opener Gautam Gambhir and Virendra Sehwag, got irritated and indulged in mild stone pelting, forcing the police to intervene, after the match was called off.
There was just a minor incident, which was brought under control and crowd was dispersed immediately after the match was called off, police said denying any stone pelting incident.
Sources said the crowd were visiting the stadium for the last four days to see their favourite cricketers playing but could not due to prevailing conditions.
Jharkhand State Cricket Association Secretary, Rajesh Verma told PTI that the crowd were patiently waiting for the last four days to see players such as Gambhir and Sehwag and were disappointed.
No damage or injury was caused in the stone-pelting incident as it had happened just after the match was called off, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price