Jiwanjyot, Kohli assure Punjab of Ranji Trophy semifinal berth
Jamshedpur: Jiwanjyot Singh (131) and Taruwar Kohli (151 not out) hit centuries to help Punjab take the crucial first-innings lead over Jharkhand and assure themselves of a place in the Ranji Trophy`s last-four stage on the on the fourth and penultimate day here on Wednesday.
In reply to Jharkhand`s first innings total of 401, Punjab reached 435 for three at stumps on day four of their quarterfinal tie with Kohli unbeaten at crease.
With Punjab having already taken a 34-run lead with seven wickets still remaining, the match is headed for a draw with the visitors, in all probability making the next round on basis of their first innings total.
Besides, Jiwanjyot and Kohli, Mandeep Singh also chipped in with valuable 96 off 230 balls, laced with 12 boundaries.
Resuming at 150 for one, overnight batsmen -- Jiwanjyot, starting at 77 and Kohli, on 26 -- did not have any trouble in facing the Jharkhand attack on a flat Keenan Stadium wicket.
The duo put on a 156-run stand for the second wicket before host captain and left-arm spinner, Shahbaz Nadeem got the breakthrough for Jharkhand by dismissing Jiwanjyot.
It was the fifth century of Jiwanjyot, who made debut in the first class cricket this season. He faced 250 balls and struck 19 boundaries to notch up his 131.
Kohli was then joined by Mandeep and they together stitched a 204-run partnership for the third wicket.
Kohli`s unbeaten knock came off 381 deliveries and included 16 fours and a six.
Playing with four regular bowlers, Jharkhand brought in part timers -- Ishank Jaggi, Akash Verma and Manish Vardhan -- to break Kolhi-Mandeep partnership.
And finally Vardhan managed to strike in the first delivery of his second over to get Mandeep caught in the mid-wicket region. Mandeep was unlucky as he fell four runs short of his ton.
Jharkhand 1st inngs: 401 all out
Punjab 1st innings: 435 for three in 155.1 overs (Jiwanjyot Singh 131, Taruwar Kohli batting 151; Shahbaz Nadeem 2/121).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok