Karnataka come back strongly as Delhi stutter in chase
Bangalore: After a collective failure in the first innings, Karnataka batsmen came back strongly to give their team a chance of an outright victory in a Ranji Trophy Group B league match at the Chinnaswamy stadium.
Having conceded a 66-run first innings lead, Karnataka scored a comprehensive 475 for nine declared with as many as six batsmen getting to half centuries.
At stumps, Delhi were in trouble at 40 for three chasing a huge target of 410 with R Vinay Kumar and HS Sharath sharing the spoils.
Getting 370 runs on the final day of a seaming Chinnaswamy track is certainly out of question but it will be a challenge for the visiting batsmen to avert a defeat which would virtually end their chances of qualifying for the knock-out stage.
Everything now depends on senior pro Mithun Manhas who has already scored 529 runs this season. Manhas and Rajat Bhatia are the two players on whom it depends whether Delhi can hold on to their three points from the encounter.
The Karnataka batsmen did extremely well with their opening pair of Robin Uthappa and Lokesh Rahul scoring 81 and 73 respectively adding 140 runs in the process.
Manish Pandey (61) and Stuart Binny (85, 9x4, 4x6) added 145 runs for the fifth wicket to further consolidate the lead.
The 83-run stand for the eighth wicket between CM Gautham and Abhimanyu Mithun took the lead beyond 400. Gautham scored 71 while Mithun smashed 52 off only 40 balls. Parvinder Awana git three wickets and finished with a match-haul of eight wickets.
Brief Scores: Karnataka 192 & 475/9 decl (Stuart Binny 85, Robin Uthappa 81, Lokesh Rahul 73, CM Gautham 71, Manish Pandey 61, Abhimanyu Mithun 52, Parvinder Awana 3/89).
Delhi 258 & 40/3 (Shikhar Dhawan 18, HS Sharath 2/9, R Vinay Kumar 1/14).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced