Karnataka, Orissa share honours on day 2
Bangalore: Karnataka batsmen struggled against a spirited Orissa bowling attack as they managed to put up a modest 213 to take a paltry 11-run first innings lead on the second day of their Ranji Trophy match here on Sunday.
The hosts though had something to celebrate towards the end as they had Orissa struggling at 30 for two in their second innings. The visitors had score 202 in first innings.
Experienced paceman R Vinay Kumar cleaned up Orissa opener Sandeep Mulia (0) and Niranjan Bahera (4) to end the day on a high for the hosts.
Alok Sahoo (16) and G B Podder (8) will resume the Orissa innings on Monday.
Resuming the day with the overnight score of 16 for loss, Karnataka batsmen were found wanting against the gentle pace of Deepak Behera and Lagnajit Samal, while they had little answers for part-timer Biplab Samantaray`s bowling.
Behera (3/46) was the highest wicket-taker with three scalps while Samantaray (2/40) and Samal (2/8) took two wickets apiece.
Uthappa, who shaped 59 runs partnership for first wicket with K B Pawan, made 43 and was the top scorer while most of the other batsmen failed to cross 30s.
Pawan (25) and Uthappa fell to Sahoo and Samantaray respectively, leaving Karnataka 95 for two at lunch.
Two quick wickets of in-form batsmen Manish Pandey (8) and Ganesh Satish (19) soon after lunch hurt Karnataka.
Behera then picked up Stuart Binny for 12. Samantaray and Samal chipped in with one wicket each reducing the home side to 183 for six at tea.
Samal celebrated Amita Verma`s wicket cleaning him up for 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble