Maharshtra bowlers restrict TN to 273/9
Chennai: Maharashtra came up with an impressive bowling effort to restrict last year`s finalist Tamil Nadu to 273 for nine in their first innings at stumps on the opening day of a third round Ranji Trophy Group B match here on Saturday.
Pacers Shrikant Mundhe (3/38) and Samad Fallah (2/49) shared five wickets between them while spin trio of Akshai Darekar (2/86), Satyajit Bachhav (1/48) and Chirag Khurana (1/30) accounted for other Tamil Nadu wickets to fall on the day.
Yo Mahesh top-scored for the hosts with a 130-ball 81 during which he struck eight boundaries and three hits over the fence.
At the draw of stumps, Malolan Rangarajan was unbeaten on 50 off 85 balls and giving him company was last man R Aushik Srinivas on four.
Electing to bat, Tamil Nadu were in dire straits with the experienced opening duo of Murali Vijay and Abhinav Mukund departing inside the first 10 runs.
To add to Tamil Nadu`s misery, Subramaniam Badrinath, who is eyeing a place in the India Test squad, failed to open his account as he was clean bowled by Mundhe, who picked up the first three wickets.
Baba Aprajith (23) and wicket-keeper batsman Dinesh Karthik (29) steadied the rocking Tamil Nadu ship with a 54-run fourth wicket stand before the former was caught by Bachhav off his own bowling.
After Karthik`s dismissal in the 31st over, Ramaswamy Prasanna (56) and Mahesh combined well to take Tamil Nadu to a safer position with a 110-run sixth wicket stand before both became left-arm spinner Darekar`s victims.
Prasanna made a neat 56 off 118 balls with the help of nine fours.
Tamil Nadu: 273 for nine in 90 overs (Yo Mahesh 81, Ramaswamy Prasanna 56, Malolan Rangarajan 50 batting; Shrikant Mundhe 3/38).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video