Mumbai close in on Ranji Trophy semifinal berth
Mumbai: Multiple-time champions Mumbai assured themselves of a place in the Ranji Trophy`s last-four stage after bundling out Baroda for 271 before extending their lead to 545 runs on the fourth and penultimate day of their quarterfinal clash here today.
Even if the match ends in a draw tomorrow, Mumbai, who were 171/1 at stumps, will qualify for the next stage due to their huge first innings lead.
Baroda needed another 175 runs to avoid the follow on and trailed by 374 runs when their innings wrapped up nine minutes before the end of first session. The host skipper Ajit Agarkar decided against imposing the follow on.
First innings centurion Wasim Jaffer became the second player to accumulate more than 9,000 runs and is 97 runs behind former Mumbai player Amol Muzumdar (9,105 runs) in the overall tally.
He scored 33, striking two fours and two sixes, before being trapped LBW by Ambati Rayudu.
Opener Kaustubh Pawar (70) and one down batsman Hiken Shah (65) forged an unbeaten 123-run stand. Baroda skipper Yusuf Pathan seemed to be suffering from butter fingers, as he dropped Hiken Shah (his third dropped catch in the match) on 54. Pawar hit six fours and two sixes, while Shah struck six fours and a six.
Meanwhile, Baroda`s leading wicket-taker Murtuja Vahora, who picked four wickets in the first innings including Sachin Tendulkar`s, did not come out to bowl in the second innings due to an injury, adding to Baroda`s misery.
The visitors, who started the day with 167 runs on board and five wickets in hand, lost Pinal Shah early -- caught in the slip cordon off debutant Vishal Dabholkar.
From then on, it was a downslide for Baroda, as they did not offer much resistance to Mumbai`s bowling attack and added only 104 runs in the first session.
The last batsman, Bhargav Bhatt, hit two fours before being caught by Tendulkar off Javed Khan.
Rayudu, dropped earlier on 33, ran out of partners and was left stranded at 89. His knock comprised 15 fours and two sixes.
Dabholkar, playing his first match, was pick of the bowlers as he scalped three wickets for 88 runs and would have bagged Rayudu`s wicket too if Agarkar had held onto a simple catch. Javed Khan, Dhawal Kulkarni and Ankeet Chavan grabbed two wickets each.
Mumbai: 645/9 declared and 171/1 (Kaustubh Pawar 70 batting, Hiken Shah 65 batting, Ambati Rayudu 1/32)
Baroda: 271 all out (Ambati Rayudu 89 not out, Aditya Waghmode 53, Saurabh Wakaskar 51, Vishal Dabholkar 3/88)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah