Murtaza puts UP in strong position against TN
Chennai: Ali Murtaza scored a fluent 152-ball 106 and then bagged four wickets as Uttar Pradesh took control of their Group B Ranji Trophy match against Tamil Nadu here on Sunday.
At stumps on the second day, Tamil Nadu were struggling at 149 for six in reply to Uttar Pradesh`s first-innings total of 392 all out.
Resuming on overnight 279 for six, Uttar Pradesh were served well by the 22-year-old left-handed Murtaza from Hyderabad, who struck 10 fours and three sixes during his stay at the crease.
Murtaza added 120 runs for the seventh wicket with Prashant Gupta (57 off 104 balls) and 67 for the eighth wicket with Praveen Gupta who contributed with an unbeaten knock of 29.
Murtaza made the day memorable for him when he returned impressive figures of four for 65 to leave the hosts in a spot of bother.
Ramaswamy Prasanna and Yo Mahesh were batting on 16 and nine respectively when the stumps were drawn.
Tamil Nadu trailed by 243 runs with four wickets remaining in the first innings.
Uttar Pradesh 1st innings: 392 all out in 128.5 overs (Ali Murtaza 106, Mohammad Kaif 68, Prashant Gupta 57; Malolan Rangarajan 4/107)
Tamil nadu 1st innings: 149 for six in 57 overs (Murali Vijay 42; Ali Murtaza 4/65).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday