Nayar hits unbeaten ton as Mumbai post 524/6
Mumbai: Abhishek Nayar compounded Baroda`s misery with an unbeaten century as formidable Mumbai posted a mammoth 524 for six in their Ranji Trophy quarterfinal match here on Monday.
Nayar`s 122 comes a day after Sachin Tendulkar (108) and Wasim Jaffer (150) helped the hosts to 272 for three on the opening day on Sunday.
It was due to Nayar`s third century of this Ranji season that the hosts scored more than 500 runs by the end of second day`s play at the Wankhede Stadium.
The in-form batsman scored his runs off 217 balls, striking 12 fours. He forged a 123-run partnership with Aditya Tare.
At stumps, Ankeet Chavan (17) was giving Nayar company.
The Mumbai wicket-keeper, Tare, was caught behind off Abhimanyu Chauhan after a well-made 64, which came off 160 balls.
Resuming at 272 for three, Mumbai lost their set batsman Jaffer, who was unbeaten on 137 overnight, in the seventh over of the day.
Jaffer`s knock was laced with 18 fours and three sixes. He was bowled by Gagandeep Singh Natt, when he got a thick edge, as the ball disturbed the stumps.
Baroda skipper Yusuf Pathan`s woes continued as he dropped a sitter in the first slip, the lucky batsman being night watchman Dhawal Kulkarni.
Kulkarni, who was later caught behind off pacer Murtuja Vahora, could only manage 27. He hit four fours and a six, and added 70 runs with Nayar for the fifth wicket.
Murtuja Vahora was the pick of the bowlers for Baroda, claiming three wickets while Gagandeep, Bhargav and Chauhan grabbed one each.
Mumbai 1st innings: 524/6 in 180 overs (Wasim Jaffer 150, Abhishek Nayar batting 122, Sachin Tendulkar 108; Murtuja Vahora 3/89).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal