Odisha bundle out UP for 160; slump to 70 for five on day one
Cuttack: Deepak Behera took a six-wicket haul as Odisha bundled out Uttar Pradesh for a meagre 160 and then themselves slumped to 70 for five on the opening day of their last Ranji Trophy Group B league match, here on Saturday.
Apart from fast bowler Deepak Behera, who gave away just 37 run in his 17.5 overs while claiming six wickets, Basant Mohanty (2/28) and Biplab Samantray (2/30) took two wickets each after Odisha invited the visitors to bat.
Akshdeep Nath was the highest scorer for UP with his 37-run knock, while Mukul Dagar (29) and Ali Murtaza (24) chipped in with some notable contributions.
The only other UP batsman who could reach the double figures was Tanmay Srivastava (16).
UP, however, did not have a bad start as they reached 59 without any loss for the opening wicket, but the opener Srivastava`s dismissal triggered the collapse and the visitors went on to lose two more wickets at the same score.
Hence, from 59 for no wicket, they were suddenly struggling at 59 for three.
Thereafter, the host bowlers tightened the noose and UP kept losing wickets at regular intervals.
In reply to UP`s modest first innings total, Odisha got off to a poor start losing both the openers -- Sandeep Mulia (8) and Natraj Behera (6) -- cheaply.
Although Niranjan Behera (17) tried to consolidate the innings for a while but two more wickets fell at the other end.
Before the end of the day`s play, Niranjan also got out.
At stumps on day one, Halhadar Das was unbeaten on 15 and Biplab Samantray was not out on four.
Uttar Pradesh: 160 all out in 61 overs (Akshdeep Nath 37, Mukul Dagar 29; Deepak Behera 6/37).
Odisha: 70 for five in 23 overs (Niranjan Behera 17; Imtiaz Ahmed 2/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015