Pandey`s 2nd fifer of match helps MP beat Bengal
Indore: Pacer Ishwar Pandey stole the limelight with his second five-wicket haul of the match as Madhya Pradesh scored a thumping 138-run win over Bengal on the final day of their Ranji Trophy group league match here on Tuesday.
Pandey took five wickets for 58 to help Madhya Pradesh shoot Bengal out for just 138 in their second innings to end the match with figures of 10 for 145. He had taken 5/87 in Bengal`s first innings in the Group A match at the Holkar Cricket Stadium.
Chasing 277 for a win, none of the Bengal batsman could rise to the occasion with captain and wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha and Shreevats Goswami top-scoring with an identical 29.
The visiting side`s highest partnership was the 43-run opening stand between Goswami and Parthasarathi Bhattacharjee (19) as Bengal were all out in just 45.5 overs.
For Madhya Pradesh, who notched up their maiden win in the season, Amarjeet Singh and Anand Rajan bagged two and one wicket respectively.
Earlier, Madhya Pradesh added 98 runs to their overnight score of 135 for three to be all out for 233 in their second innings. They batted 32 overs today.
Overnight batsmen Ankit Sharma and Udit Birla added 17 and 14 runs respectively to their individual overnight scores while Rameez Khan remained unbeaten on 27.
With six points from the win, Madhya Pradesh are now second in Group A with 11 points from four matches. They had drawn thrice before today`s match.
Bengal, on the other hand, are on six points from four matches. They are yet to win a match this season, having lost twice and drawn twice.
Madhya Pradesh: 342 & 233 all out in 79 overs (Ankit Sharma 73, Udit Birla 74; Shami Ahmed 4/72).
Bengal: 299 & 138 all out in 45.5 overs (Wriddhiman Saha 29, Shreevats Goswami 29; Ishwar Pandey 5/58).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves