Punjab fights back after being bowled out for 172
Mohali: Sixteen wickets fell on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy Group, a match between Punjab and Gujarat at the home side fought back in a splendid fashion after being bowled out for 172, here today.
Put into bat, Punjab were bundled out for just 172 in 70.1 overs with opener Jiwanjot Singh being the only batsman, who made a substantial contribution with a solid 86 at the PCA Stadium.
Wicket-keeper Uday Kaul (22), Ravi Inder Singh (20) and Mayank Sidhana (16) were the other Punjab batsmen, who scored in double digit figures.
Right-arm pacer Jasprit Bumrah led the fine bowling show of Gujarat with a five-wicket haul. Left-arm spinner Rakesh Dhurv grabbed three wickets while Bhavesh Baria and Mehul Patel took a wicket each.
In reply, Gujarat were in a precarious 61 for six within 17 overs at the draw of stumps with Rujul Bhatt and Akshar Patel batting on 11 and 14 respectively.
The Gujarat top order produced a pathetic batting display with only opener Samit Gohel (14) coming up with a double-digit score.
Interestingly, two wickets each fell at the scores of 20, 31 and 36 as Gujarat were reduced to 36 after facing 13 overs.
For Punjab, right-arm pacer Sandeep Sharma (Jr) grabbed three wickets while Siddarth Kaul and Manpreet Singh Gony took a wicket apiece.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended