Punjab fights back after being bowled out for 172
Mohali: Sixteen wickets fell on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy Group, a match between Punjab and Gujarat at the home side fought back in a splendid fashion after being bowled out for 172, here today.
Put into bat, Punjab were bundled out for just 172 in 70.1 overs with opener Jiwanjot Singh being the only batsman, who made a substantial contribution with a solid 86 at the PCA Stadium.
Wicket-keeper Uday Kaul (22), Ravi Inder Singh (20) and Mayank Sidhana (16) were the other Punjab batsmen, who scored in double digit figures.
Right-arm pacer Jasprit Bumrah led the fine bowling show of Gujarat with a five-wicket haul. Left-arm spinner Rakesh Dhurv grabbed three wickets while Bhavesh Baria and Mehul Patel took a wicket each.
In reply, Gujarat were in a precarious 61 for six within 17 overs at the draw of stumps with Rujul Bhatt and Akshar Patel batting on 11 and 14 respectively.
The Gujarat top order produced a pathetic batting display with only opener Samit Gohel (14) coming up with a double-digit score.
Interestingly, two wickets each fell at the scores of 20, 31 and 36 as Gujarat were reduced to 36 after facing 13 overs.
For Punjab, right-arm pacer Sandeep Sharma (Jr) grabbed three wickets while Siddarth Kaul and Manpreet Singh Gony took a wicket apiece.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'