Punjab fights back after being bowled out for 172
Mohali: Sixteen wickets fell on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy Group, a match between Punjab and Gujarat at the home side fought back in a splendid fashion after being bowled out for 172, here today.
Put into bat, Punjab were bundled out for just 172 in 70.1 overs with opener Jiwanjot Singh being the only batsman, who made a substantial contribution with a solid 86 at the PCA Stadium.
Wicket-keeper Uday Kaul (22), Ravi Inder Singh (20) and Mayank Sidhana (16) were the other Punjab batsmen, who scored in double digit figures.
Right-arm pacer Jasprit Bumrah led the fine bowling show of Gujarat with a five-wicket haul. Left-arm spinner Rakesh Dhurv grabbed three wickets while Bhavesh Baria and Mehul Patel took a wicket each.
In reply, Gujarat were in a precarious 61 for six within 17 overs at the draw of stumps with Rujul Bhatt and Akshar Patel batting on 11 and 14 respectively.
The Gujarat top order produced a pathetic batting display with only opener Samit Gohel (14) coming up with a double-digit score.
Interestingly, two wickets each fell at the scores of 20, 31 and 36 as Gujarat were reduced to 36 after facing 13 overs.
For Punjab, right-arm pacer Sandeep Sharma (Jr) grabbed three wickets while Siddarth Kaul and Manpreet Singh Gony took a wicket apiece.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi