Punjab register eight-wicket win, earn six points
Mohali: Punjab notched up a comprehensive eight-wicket victory over Sauarashtra and pocketed six points on the third and penultimate day of their Group A Ranji Trophy match on Monday.
After reducing Saurashtra to 233 in their second innings, the hosts chased down the victory target of 119 runs comfortably by losing just two wickets here at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) Stadium.
Punjab dominated from day one as they bundled out Saurashtra for a meagre 90 in their first innings before they went on to score 205 all out, thereby taking a 115-run lead.
Saurashtra, after commencing the day at 212 for seven in their second innings, could add just 42 runs to the total with both overnight batsmen, Sagar Jogiyani (76), who resumed on 72, and Jaydev Unadkat (2), starting at 0, got out early.
Siddharth Kaul, who finished with a five-wicket haul yesterday, added another wicket to his kitty this morning to take his figures to six for 63. Sandeep Sharma (three for 57) also chipped in with important wickets.
Chasing a small target, Punjab lost opener Jiwanjot Singh (5) cheaply but Karan Goel made sure that the hosts reach home without much trouble.
Goel hit a fine 115-ball 75 not out, laced with 13 fours and a six, while Mayank Sidhana (21) and Mandeep Singh (18 not out) also added valuable runs.
Saurashtra: 90 & 233 all out in 62.4 overs (Sagar Jogiayni 76; Siddharth Kaul 6/63).
Punjab: 205 & 120 for two in 33.1 overs (Karan Goel batting 75, Mayank Sidhana 21; Jaydev Unadkat 1/19).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'