Rajasthan earn three points, Saurashtra settle for one
Jaipur: A handy first-innings lead of 71 runs proved to be crucial for Rajasthan as it helped them earn three points from their drawn Group A Ranji Trophy match against Saurashtra on the fourth and final day here today.
Chasing 306 for victory, Saurashtra reached 217 for five in their second innings to play out a draw and pocket one point from this encounter.
Both the teams were looking for a win today as Saurashtra are fighting for a place in knock-out stage, while Rajasthan face a threat of relegation.
Resuming at 11 for no loss, Saurashtra needed 295 on the day for a win and they were right on course at 73 without any wicket.
But just before lunch, they lost overnight batsman Sheldon Jackson for 32 and one-down batsman, Cheteswar Pujara (24) to be suddenly struggling at 119 for two.
In the second session, Shitanshu Kotak also departed for a well-made 54 off 112 balls studded with six boundaries. But skipper Jaydev Shah (34 runs, 35 b, 7x4) kept up the pace, even as Chirag Jani (9) gave him company for a while.
But the dismissal of both Shah and Chirag with scorecard reading 164 for five, left the visitors in a danger of losing the match.
Arpit Vasavada (28 not out) and Kamlesh Makvana (25 not out), however, thwarted Rajasthan bowlers to steer their team to safety with an unbroken 53-run stand for the sixth wicket.
With no result in sight, the match was called off after nine mandatory overs with Saurashtra at 217 for 5.
For Rajasthan, Aniket Choudhary grabbed three for 42, while Sumit Mathur (1 for 31) and Pankaj Singh (1 for 75) took wicket apiece.
Rajasthan: 299 & 234
Saurashtra: 228 & 217 for five in 88 overs (Shitanshu Kotak 54, Jaydev Shah 34; Aniket Choudhary 3/42).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP