Rajasthan set Saurashtra a victory target of 306
Jaipur: Rajasthan rode on Pankaj Singh`s five-wicket haul to set Saurashtra a challenging target of 306 to win their Group A Ranji Trophy match, after declaring the second innings at 234 for nine on the penultimate day hereon Monday.
Saurashtra were 11 without loss in their chase with openers Shitanshu Kotak and Sheldon Jackson batting on nine and two respectively.
The visitors need 295 runs on the final day tomorrow in a minimum of 90 overs -- with all wickets intact -- for a win on K L Saini stadium wicket which seems to have eased out.
Saurashtra, who resumed at their overnight score of 213 for seven, were bundled out of 228 in their first innings losing the wickets of Sandip Maniar (22), Kamlesh Makvana (54), Jaydev Unadkat (2 not out) and Siddharth Trivedi (5).
Right-arm pacer Pankaj shone with the ball grabbing five for 61, while Rituraj Singh picked up three for 57. Sumit Mathur and Sourabh Chouhan chipped in with a wicket apiece.
Rajasthan, who led Sautashtra by 71 runs in the first essay, saw opener Sourabh Chouhan (73) hit by a bouncer from Maniar in the second over of their second innings and was retired hurt.
A little later, skipper Hrishikesh Kanitkar (0) was castled by Maniar when the left-handed batsman tried to play across the line.
Vineet Saxena (65) and Ashok Menaria (46) then combined well and stitched a 93-run partnership for the third wicket to consolidate Rajasthan`s position.
After the departure of two batsmen, Chouhan returned to the crease and scored a fine 135-ball 73 to take the hosts past 200-run mark. He was removed by Chirag Jani but not before the Udaipur-born batsman had struck six fours and three sixes.
The home team declared once Rituraj Singh was run out for 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy