Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Awana smashes 74 as Delhi get 1st innings lead vs Karnataka
Bangalore: Parvinder Awana celebrated his maiden call-up to the Indian side with a smashing 74 that helped Delhi take an all-important 66-run first innings lead against Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy group B league encounter here today.
Courtesy Awana`s 61-ball-74, Delhi managed to score 258 in their first innings in reply to Karnataka`s score of 192.
The hosts however performed much better in their second innings reaching 136 for no loss at close of play. Karnataka now have a lead of 70 runs and if they can put up a target in excess of 200, there is every chance to force for an outright win on a seaming track. Robin Uthappa is batting on 77 while Lokesh Rahul is on 53.
The day however belonged to Awana who came in with Delhi in a spot of bother at 144 for seven still needing 49 runs to get the first innings lead.
It was the 62-run eighth wicket stand with Sumit Narwal (29) that clinched the first innings lead for Delhi.
Awana hit 13 fours and two sixes and interestingly got the good news of his national call-up when he was batting out there in the middle.
"I was batting on 42 when the 12th man came in with the towel to inform me about my selection. I suddenly changed gears and attacking even more," Awana said at the end of the day`s play.
After his five-wicket haul yesterday his maiden first-class half century was like the icing in the cake.
Brief Scores: Karnataka 192 & 136/0 (Robin Uthappa 77 batting); Delhi 258 (Parvinder Awana 74, H S Sharath 4/52).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown