Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Awana smashes 74 as Delhi get 1st innings lead vs Karnataka
Bangalore: Parvinder Awana celebrated his maiden call-up to the Indian side with a smashing 74 that helped Delhi take an all-important 66-run first innings lead against Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy group B league encounter here today.
Courtesy Awana`s 61-ball-74, Delhi managed to score 258 in their first innings in reply to Karnataka`s score of 192.
The hosts however performed much better in their second innings reaching 136 for no loss at close of play. Karnataka now have a lead of 70 runs and if they can put up a target in excess of 200, there is every chance to force for an outright win on a seaming track. Robin Uthappa is batting on 77 while Lokesh Rahul is on 53.
The day however belonged to Awana who came in with Delhi in a spot of bother at 144 for seven still needing 49 runs to get the first innings lead.
It was the 62-run eighth wicket stand with Sumit Narwal (29) that clinched the first innings lead for Delhi.
Awana hit 13 fours and two sixes and interestingly got the good news of his national call-up when he was batting out there in the middle.
"I was batting on 42 when the 12th man came in with the towel to inform me about my selection. I suddenly changed gears and attacking even more," Awana said at the end of the day`s play.
After his five-wicket haul yesterday his maiden first-class half century was like the icing in the cake.
Brief Scores: Karnataka 192 & 136/0 (Robin Uthappa 77 batting); Delhi 258 (Parvinder Awana 74, H S Sharath 4/52).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days