Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Awana smashes 74 as Delhi get 1st innings lead vs Karnataka
Bangalore: Parvinder Awana celebrated his maiden call-up to the Indian side with a smashing 74 that helped Delhi take an all-important 66-run first innings lead against Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy group B league encounter here today.
Courtesy Awana`s 61-ball-74, Delhi managed to score 258 in their first innings in reply to Karnataka`s score of 192.
The hosts however performed much better in their second innings reaching 136 for no loss at close of play. Karnataka now have a lead of 70 runs and if they can put up a target in excess of 200, there is every chance to force for an outright win on a seaming track. Robin Uthappa is batting on 77 while Lokesh Rahul is on 53.
The day however belonged to Awana who came in with Delhi in a spot of bother at 144 for seven still needing 49 runs to get the first innings lead.
It was the 62-run eighth wicket stand with Sumit Narwal (29) that clinched the first innings lead for Delhi.
Awana hit 13 fours and two sixes and interestingly got the good news of his national call-up when he was batting out there in the middle.
"I was batting on 42 when the 12th man came in with the towel to inform me about my selection. I suddenly changed gears and attacking even more," Awana said at the end of the day`s play.
After his five-wicket haul yesterday his maiden first-class half century was like the icing in the cake.
Brief Scores: Karnataka 192 & 136/0 (Robin Uthappa 77 batting); Delhi 258 (Parvinder Awana 74, H S Sharath 4/52).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490