Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Awana smashes 74 as Delhi get 1st innings lead vs Karnataka
Bangalore: Parvinder Awana celebrated his maiden call-up to the Indian side with a smashing 74 that helped Delhi take an all-important 66-run first innings lead against Karnataka in a Ranji Trophy group B league encounter here today.
Courtesy Awana`s 61-ball-74, Delhi managed to score 258 in their first innings in reply to Karnataka`s score of 192.
The hosts however performed much better in their second innings reaching 136 for no loss at close of play. Karnataka now have a lead of 70 runs and if they can put up a target in excess of 200, there is every chance to force for an outright win on a seaming track. Robin Uthappa is batting on 77 while Lokesh Rahul is on 53.
The day however belonged to Awana who came in with Delhi in a spot of bother at 144 for seven still needing 49 runs to get the first innings lead.
It was the 62-run eighth wicket stand with Sumit Narwal (29) that clinched the first innings lead for Delhi.
Awana hit 13 fours and two sixes and interestingly got the good news of his national call-up when he was batting out there in the middle.
"I was batting on 42 when the 12th man came in with the towel to inform me about my selection. I suddenly changed gears and attacking even more," Awana said at the end of the day`s play.
After his five-wicket haul yesterday his maiden first-class half century was like the icing in the cake.
Brief Scores: Karnataka 192 & 136/0 (Robin Uthappa 77 batting); Delhi 258 (Parvinder Awana 74, H S Sharath 4/52).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued