Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Karnataka beat Maharashtra to qualify for Ranji quarters
Pune: Ankit Bawne`s heroic unbeaten 155 went in vain as Karnataka notched up a thrilling eight-wicket win over Maharashtra on the final day to book a quarterfinal berth in the Ranji Trophy here today.
After conceding a massive 473-run first innings lead, Maharashtra fought back remarkably well in their follow on with Bawne leading the charge. The match look liked heading for a draw, a result which would have knocked Karnataka out.
Maharashtra second innings eventually ended at 561 with Bawne unconquered on 155 (354 balls, 24x4, 1x6).
Karnataka were set a target of 89 from 13 overs and they chased it down with eight balls to spare to collect six points from their last league match and 21 in total to finish third in Group B.
The result knocked Delhi and Vidarbha out of tournament after their match in Delhi ended in a draw. Both Delhi and Vidarbha ended their league engagements on 20 points each.
First innings double centurion Muralidharen Gautam (16 not out) and opener Lokesh Rahul (42 not out) took Karnataka home as their side scored 92 for two in 11.4 overs.
Karnataka needed more than seven an over but Rahul and captain Stuart Binny played aggressively, sharing 48 runs from 5.5 overs before the latter was out on 25 (from 17 balls). Gautam then hit three sweet boundaries in the eight balls he faced to take Karnataka home.
Karnataka: 572 for 9 decl and 92 for 2 in 11.4 overs (Lokesh Rahul 42 not out)
Maharashtra: 99 and 561 all out in 149.2 overs (Ankit Bawne 155 not out; H S Sharath 4/100).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly