Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Mandeep scores timely ton to put Punjab on top
Mumbai: Middle-order batsman Mandeep Singh notched up an unbeaten century to steer Punjab to a healthy 288 for four at stumps on day one of their four-day Ranji Trophy league match against Mumbai here on Saturday.
The 20-year-old Jalandhar-born batsman, who went into the game with just 89 runs from five matches this season, utilised fully the three chances offered by the butter-fingered Mumbai fielders to remain unbeaten on 102 at the Wankhede Stadium.
Mandeep, who pulled and drove handsomely while striking 14 fours and a six off left-arm spinner Ankit Chavan, was dropped on 67, 74 and 93 in the slips before reaching his maiden first-class hundred in his 22nd game with an on-driven four in 162 balls. He had batted for 228 minutes and faced 168 balls.
Mandeep put on a stand of 128 in 204 balls for the third wicket with Ravi Inder Singh, who made 76 with the help of 14 fours.
Mandeep then added 51 runs for the fourth wicket with another left-hander, Uday Kaul (19) to further cement Punjab`s position before the latter fell to the last ball, edging a rising ball from Dhawal Kulkarni to the slip cordon.
Ravi Inder also added 52 runs for the second wicket with in-form opener Jiwanjot Singh who came into the match with 619 runs in his debut season with two hundreds and a double hundred. The latter got two `lives` in his 42 off 121 balls.
Punjab, put into bat by Mumbai skipper Ajit Agarkar, started well on a track assisting seamers with Jiwanjot, who hit six fours, and Karan Goel (25) laying a good platform by adding 57 runs.
The latter departed after edging Agarkar to Ajinkya Rahane who later let off Mandeep twice in the second slip.
Jiwanjot was then let off twice in close succession by wicket-keeper Aditya Tare and Rohit Sharma, but he could not take full advantage of the lives.
Brief scores: Punjab 288 for 4 (Jiwanjot Singh 42, Ravi Inder Singh 76, Mandeep Singh not out 102; Ajit Agarkar (2 for 54), Dhawal Kulkarni (2 for 61) versus Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow