Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Pace trio`s failure rob Bengal chance of an outright win
Kolkata: Bengal`s pace trio of Ashoke Dinda, Sourav Sarkar and Shami Ahmed failed miserably as they weren`t able to get six Gujarat wickets on the final day as home team could manage only three points from the third round Ranji Trophy encounter at the Eden Gardens.
A dogged innings of 103 from left-hander Rujul Bhatt and his 149 run-partnership with Rakesh Dhruv who played an exciting innings of 83 off 98 balls helped Gujarat end the final day on 272 for eight after they had a deficit of 266 runs.
Starting the day at 18 for four, one thought that it was a matter of time for Bengal to wrap up the proceedings when Sarkar got Venugopal Rao caught by Wriddhiman Saha off the very first ball of the final day.
At 18 for five, Manpreet Juneja (32) joined Rush Kalaria (23) and the duo moved the score to 56 before Kalaria was stumped by Saha off left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena.
Bhatt then joined Juneja and they took the score past 100 but more importantly consumed nearly 24 overs in the process.
Things looked like nearing an end when Dinda dismissed Juneja in an identical fashion like the first innings as Gujarat were reduced to 103 for seven.
However for the next 25 overs, Bengal bowlers saw Bhatt and Dhruv taking the challenge head on. Veteran Dhruv hit 11 boundaries and three huge sixes. When Dhruv was finally dismissed by Shami Ahmed, it was evident that Gujarat have already managed to get a point from the match.
Dinda (2/82), Sarkar (2/29) and Shami (1/52) undid all the good work done by Manoj Tiwary and Laxmi Ratan Shukla who set it up nicely for them.
Brief Scores: Gujarat 260 & 272/8 (Rujul Bhatt 102 no, Rakesh Dhruv 83, Sourav Sarkar 2/29).
Bengal 526/7 decl. Points: Bengal 3; Gujarat 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark