Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Pace trio`s failure rob Bengal chance of an outright win
Kolkata: Bengal`s pace trio of Ashoke Dinda, Sourav Sarkar and Shami Ahmed failed miserably as they weren`t able to get six Gujarat wickets on the final day as home team could manage only three points from the third round Ranji Trophy encounter at the Eden Gardens.
A dogged innings of 103 from left-hander Rujul Bhatt and his 149 run-partnership with Rakesh Dhruv who played an exciting innings of 83 off 98 balls helped Gujarat end the final day on 272 for eight after they had a deficit of 266 runs.
Starting the day at 18 for four, one thought that it was a matter of time for Bengal to wrap up the proceedings when Sarkar got Venugopal Rao caught by Wriddhiman Saha off the very first ball of the final day.
At 18 for five, Manpreet Juneja (32) joined Rush Kalaria (23) and the duo moved the score to 56 before Kalaria was stumped by Saha off left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena.
Bhatt then joined Juneja and they took the score past 100 but more importantly consumed nearly 24 overs in the process.
Things looked like nearing an end when Dinda dismissed Juneja in an identical fashion like the first innings as Gujarat were reduced to 103 for seven.
However for the next 25 overs, Bengal bowlers saw Bhatt and Dhruv taking the challenge head on. Veteran Dhruv hit 11 boundaries and three huge sixes. When Dhruv was finally dismissed by Shami Ahmed, it was evident that Gujarat have already managed to get a point from the match.
Dinda (2/82), Sarkar (2/29) and Shami (1/52) undid all the good work done by Manoj Tiwary and Laxmi Ratan Shukla who set it up nicely for them.
Brief Scores: Gujarat 260 & 272/8 (Rujul Bhatt 102 no, Rakesh Dhruv 83, Sourav Sarkar 2/29).
Bengal 526/7 decl. Points: Bengal 3; Gujarat 1.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India