Ranji Trophy 2012-13: Tiwary scores 191 as Bengal smell innings victory
Kolkata: Manoj Tiwary served a timely reminder to the selectors with an inspirational 191 as hosts Bengal are eyeing for bonus points against Gujarat in a third round Ranji Trophy encounter at the Eden Gardens today.
The Bengal skipper more than made amends for a demoralizing defeat against Punjab in the last match as they scored a massive 526 for seven before declaring and then had Gujarat on the mat as they were reduced to 18 for 4.
Tiwary came in to bowl his leg-breaks and got Gujarat skipper Parthiv Patel caught by Wriddhiman Saha.
Gujarat now are 248 runs behind with only six wickets in hand and even though the light fades fast at the Eden Gardens, Bengal`s pace trio of Ashoke Dinda, Sourav Sarkar and Shami Ahmed will be able to take the remaining six wickets.
"I will only feel happy about my innings once Bengal win the match with bonus points. An innings like this becomes significant when the team wins. Personally, it was satisfying getting Parthiv out as he is a big innings player. Hopefully, my pacers will now do the job for me," Tiwary told PTI after the match.
The Bengal skipper has been one player who is known to score `Daddy Hundreds` and Monday was one such day. He carried on from his overnight score of 102 as he batted for close to eight hours facing 312 balls in the process. He hit 21 boundaries and a six in the process.
He enjoyed two fruitful partnerships --- 145 with Anustup Majundar who showed glimpses of returning to form with a fine 68 with 14 boundaries.
Then it was former Bengal skipper Laxmi Ratan Shukla who continued with his blazing form hitting 113 off only 117 balls with 15 boundaries and a six.
With a deficit of 266 runs, it was all about how Gujarat would save the game. After Priyank Panchal was run-out in the second over, left-hander Niraj Patel was caught in the slips off Dinda and then Sarkar`s inswinger cleaned up Smit Patel.
With the lights fading, skipper Tiwary didn`t have an option but to start with slow bowlers. He bowled two overs and in the process got their most dangerous player.
Brief Scores: Gujarat 260 & 18/4 (manoj Tiwary 1/6).
Bengal 526/7 decl (Manoj Tiwary 191, LR Shukla 113 no, Anustup Majumdar 68, Rush Kalaria 3/116).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical