Ranji Trophy 2012: Kaul`s 96 gives Punjab first innings lead
Bhubaneswar: Punjab rode on Uday Kaul`s unbeaten 96 to take the vital first innings lead against Railways at the end of the second day in a Ranji Trophy Group A match, here on Sunday.
At stumps, Punjab were on 230 for five in their first innings in reply to Railways 205.
Kaul ended the day just four runs short of a fine century while Amitoze Singh (55) and opener Jiwanjot Singh (44) also made useful contributions with their bat for Punjab.
Punjab, however, witnessed a shaky start to their innings as they lost their first three wickets -- Karan Goel, Mayank Sidhana and Mandeep Singh -- with the scoreboard reading 35.
But Kaul steadied Punjab`s innings with two crucial partnerships. The wicket-keeper batsman first added 62 runs for the fourth wicket with Jiwanjot and then shared a 118-run fifth wicket stand with Amitoze to take Punjab past Railway`s score.
Bipul Sharma was unbeaten on 10 along with Kaul at close.
For Railways, Krishnakant Upadhyay scalped two wickets for 50 runs.
Earlier, Railways just added 12 runs to their overnight score of 193 for seven before being bowled out in just 4.5 overs.
Punjab fast bowlers ruled the roost as Sandeep Sharma (4/38) picked up four wickets, while Siddarth Kaul (3/66) and Manpreet Gony accounted for three and two wickets respectively.
Railways: 205 all out in 78.5 overs (Nitin Bhille 41, Krishnakant Upadhyay 38; Sandeep Sharma 4/38, Siddarth Kaul 3/66).
Punjab: 230 for five in 80 overs (Uday Kaul 96 batting, Amitoze Singh 55; Krishnakant Upadhyay 2/50).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened