Ranji Trophy 2012: Uttar Pradesh vs Delhi - As it happened...
Updates by Biswajit Jha from Ghaziabad
Follow the writer on twitter biswajit_jha»
MAN OF THE MATCH:Mukul Dagar, who scored a century and Imtiaz Ahmed, who took 9 wickets in the match declared joint man of the match
4:40 pm ALERT! Uttar Pradesh have beaten Delhi by 6 wickets!
4:39 pm Update:Scores are level now. UP need 1 to win
Update: UP need just six more runs to win this match!
Update:Aris Alam drives one through covers for a triple. UP inching closer to victory. Just 18 runs separating them foe a well deserved win.
UP 131/4 Vikas Misra gets Parvinder. He scored 19. UP need 24 runs to win.
Update: UP 130/3 after 35 overs. 15 mandatory overs left. Need 25 runs to beat Delhi. (Parvinder 19* Alam 1*)
Update: UP 117/3, Skipper Suresh Raina departs after scoring 37 (46b, 4X6). His team needs another 38 runs to win against Delhi.
Update: UP 90/2 Tanmay Srivastava out for 26. 65 more runs to win. (Raina 20*)
Score Update: UP 79/1, need 76 more to win in max 28 overs. Raina 14*
Update: This is turning out to be a fascinating contest! Last session UP need 90 more in max 31 overs. Can raina win it for UP?
At tea on the final day, Uttar Pradesh were 65/1, still needing 90 more runs to win in maximum 31 overs.
Needing 155 to win, UP openers-Mukul Dagar and Tanmay Srivastava- started cautiously reaching 54 for no loss before the former was removed by part-time offie Mithun Manhas for a confident 47-ball 37.
Before the tea was taken, Tanmay Srivastava was batting on 18 while Raina was on 6.
Earlier, Delhi were bowled out for 322 shortly after lunch, setting a target of 155 for UP to register an outright win in 50 overs.
From 308/7 Delhi could manage only 14 runs. Ishant sharama got out for 5. He became the 3rd victim of Imtiaz Ahmed.
Sehwag could add just two runs to his lunch score before Imtiaz got his wicket. He scored 107.
Bhuvneshwar Kumar then bowled Nehra for 8 to end Delhi’s innings at 322. Imtiaz and Bhuvneshwar were the most successful bowlers picking up four wickets each.
Tea Update: At tea UP 65/1 (19 overs) Tanmay (18*) Raina (6*). 90 more runs to win in 31 overs.
Update: UP 54/1, Mukul Dagar departs after scoring 37 off 47 balls including five boundaries. Manhas gets him. Suresh Raina who has just been dropped from the Test team, comes out to bat. Can he help UP win here?
Update: UP 52/0 (14 overs) They are chasing 150 off 50 overs.
Score Update: UP 13/0 (5 overs). A cautious start from UP openers Mukul Dagar (11*) and Tanmay Srivastava (2*). UP need 142 more to register a win.
Score Update: Delhi 235 & 322 vs UP 403. UP need 155 to win in 50 overs if light permits.
Update: Uttar Pradesh need 155 runs to win in 50 overs.
Update: Ashish Nehra departs. Delhi 322 all out in their second essay.
Update: Delhi 314/9, Sehwag departs! He scored 107 off 165 balls with 19 fours. Imtiaz gets him for his fourth wicket of the match.
Update: Delhi 313/8, Ishant Sharma dismissed for 5. Delhi leading by 145 runs.
Post Lunch: Delhi 312/7, Ishant edges one off the 1st ball after Lunch. Delhi lead by 144 runs.
Virender Sehwag played a magnificent knock to almost rescue Delhi singlehandedly from losing the match against Uttar Pradesh at lunch on the last day of the Ranji Trophy Group B encounter on Sunday.
At lunch on Day 4, Delhi were 308/7, a lead of 140 runs. Sehwag was unbeaten on 105 and Ishant Sharma was not out on 1 at the break.
Resuming on 197/4, with a slender lead of 29 runs, Delhi lost two quick wickets in Mithun Manhas (63) and Sumit Narwal (0).
At that time Delhi were reeling at 218/6 with just 50-run lead. But Sehwag had other ideas. Unlike on Sunday he started to dominate from the word go. He smacked Bhuvneshwar Kumar for two superb boundaries who had earlier consumed Manhas early in the morning.
Sehwag throughout the whole morning session played compact cricket. He hardly took any aerial route in the first session in which Delhi scored 111 runs losing 3 more wickets.
He reached his 50 off 75 balls with 10 fours. Though he was dropped by Raina on 70 at second slip, his is a responsible knock which gave Delhi a great chance of saving the match.
Sehwag took the full use of his dropped chance. From 83 he reached 95 with three exquisite consecutive fours off Imtiaz Ahmed. He finally completed his ton off 146 balls with 18 hits to the fence.
Birthday boy Pradeep sangwan also complemented him well hanging in there for his 75-ball 21. He put on 85-run stand with Sehwag which put Delhi in safe zone in the morning session.
LUNCH UPDATE: At lunch Delhi 308/7, lead by 140 runs. (Sehwag 105*, Ishant 1*).
Update Delhi 303/7, Pradeep Sangwan is the latest wicket to fall. He scored 21. (Sehwag 101*)
Update: Delhi 303/6, Sehwag has completed his century off 146 deliveries with 18 hits to the fence. Clichéd it may sound but Raina dropped the match when he floored Sehwag's catch on 70.
ALERT!Sehwag scores century.
Update:>Sehwag hits one straight down the ground for 4. Reaches 99*
Score Update:Delhi 297/6, lead by 129 runs. Sehwag hits three boundaries in one over and is now batting on 95.
Off the Pitch: By the way Virat Kohli and Pradeep Sangwan are celebrating their birthdays today! Kohli turns 24 and Sangwan 22.
Update: Sehwag dropped by Raina at slip on 70! He is playing a cautious innings here. Showing a lot of patience. Has anyone ever seen him play like this before?
Score Update: Delhi 268/6, lead by 100 against UP. (Sehwag 69* Sangwan 17*)
Update: Delhi extend their lead by 91 runs with 4 wickets in hand.
Score Update: After 1st hour on Day 4, Delhi 259/6 (Sehwag 66* Sangwan 13*)
Update: Sehwag is using the opportunity perfectly. Looks set to score a ton if he gets support from other end. Playing some fantastic shots here against UP. Time is ripe for him to end any speculation about his place in the Test team. This knock will help him get into his grooves.
Score Update: Delhi 253/6 (Sehwag 62*)
Update: Delhi struggling at 237/6, just 69 runs ahead with 4 wickets remaining.
Update: Sehwag has completed his fifty off 75 deliveries with 10 hits to the boundary. Good news for Delhi and Team India. Not so good for England.
Update: Delhi 226/6: If you are supporting Delhi then it’s not going to please you to know that they have lost two early wickets today morning. Mithun Manhas departs after scoring 65 while Sumit Narwal failed to score getting out for nought. Any good news? Sehwag is still in the middle.
Update: After 3 days of play, UP look to be a far superior side. Delhi only better on paper. Hope better team wins today.
Suresh Raina and Praveen Kumar scored half-centuries as Uttar Pradesh took a healthy 168-run lead over Delhi before their bowlers took four crucial Delhi wickets to give them a chance to go for an outright win.
At the end of Day 3, Delhi were fighting on 197/4. Manhas was batting on 63 while Sehwag was unbeaten on 21 when umpires decided to call off the match early.
Delhi were leading by 29 runs with 6 wickets in hand when umpires decided to end 3rd day’s play due to bad light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe