Ranji Trophy: Amitoze, Gony share 6 wickets; Harbhajan goes wicket-less
Mohali: Amitoze Singh and Manpreet Gony shared six wickets between them as Punjab restricted Hyderabad to 244 for seven on day one of their Group A Ranji Trophy league match at the PCA stadium, here on Friday.
It took Punjab some time to take the first wicket as Hyderabad openers Akshat Reddy (63) and D Ravi Teja (36) put on an impressive 77-run stand after being invited to bat.
Almost all the Hyderabad batsmen good starts but could not convert those into big ones. Hanuma Vihari (28), skipper VVS Laxman (23) and Arjun Yadav (34) batted well in the middle-order but could not carry on with their good work.
Ibrahim Khaleel (38) and Pragyan Ojha (4) were at the crease when stumps were drawn.
For Punjab, skipper Harbhajan Singh failed to get a single wicket in his 20 overs as his prolonged lean patch continued. He though was economical, conceding just 39 runs.
Medium pacer Amitoze (3/33) provided the first breakthrough when he had Teja caught by Harbhajan. Teja`s 36 came of 97 balls with four shots to the fence.
Reddy and Vihari took the team past 100 runs but Sandeep Sharma broke the stand by dismissing the latter.
Gony (3/51) then removed Reddy by having him caught behind and from there on Hyderabad innings fell apart. Reddy`s 63-run knock off 154 balls was laced with 10 fours.
The visitors lost wickets intermittently and their innings never got the impetus.
Amitoze`s big prize was wicket of Laxman, who is playing his first match post retirement from international cricket.
He had the classy batsman trapped in front of the wicket and followed it up with the wicket of Syed Quadri in the next ball. However he could not complete his hat-trick.
Gony then took the last two wickets, dismissing Arjun Yadav (34) and Pagadala Naidu (1) in successive overs.
Hyderabad: 244 for 7 in 90 overs. (Akshat Reddy 63, Ibrahim Khaleel 38 batting; Amitoze Singh 3/33; Manpreet Gony 3/51).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers