Ranji Trophy: Bundela, Jalaj steer MP to 8-wicket win over Punjab
Gwalior: Skipper Devendra Bundela (100) scored an unbeaten century and shared a match-winning 185-run stand with Jalaj Saxena (72 not out) as Madhya Pradesh spanked Punjab by eight wickets in their Ranji Trophy Group A match, here today.
Chasing a 190-run target, Madhya Pradesh overcame two early jolts to chase down the required runs in 45.3 overs.
The hosts earlier shot out Punjab for 364 as the two overnight batsmen -- Sandeep Sharma (28) and Baltej Singh (8) could resists the home bowlers for just 5.1 overs.
Punjab, who were following on, had began the day at 354 for eight at Captain Roop Singh Stadium.
MP`s chase was not ideal as they lost opener Naman Ojha (0) and Anand rajan (6) inside the first five overs.
Paceman Sandeep Sharma had Ojha caught behind in the fifth ball of the innings and then he trapped Rajan in his third over.
Saxena and Bundela though batted well to steer the side to a comfortable victory.
Bundela`s 100 came off 132 balls with the help of 11 fours and five sixes.
Saxena faced 120 balls in his unbeaten knock and helped himself with 10 boundaries including two sixes.
Madhya Pradesh: 323 and 193 for 2 in 45.3 overs (D Bundela 100 not out, J Saxena 72 not out; S Sharma 2/39).
Punjab 148 and 364 (f/o) in 97.1 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren