Ranji Trophy: Himachal recover after bad start against Goa
Porvorim (Goa): A 154-run fifth-wicket partnership between Amit Kumar and Mukesh Sharma helped Himachal Pradesh post 210 for 5 against Goa on the opening day of the Group C Ranji match here today.
Electing to bat first after winning the toss, the visitors had slumped to 36 for four before Amit (76 not out) and Mukesh (73) resurrected the innings with their defiant stand.
Goa`s medium pacer Gaurish Gawas earned his maiden first class wicket when he had Himachal skipper Aakash Chopra (2) trapped in front of the stumps.
Varun Sharma (15), Paras Dogra (6) and Nikhil Gangta (9) too departed in quick succession as the visitors` decision to bat first on a seaming track backfired badly.
Amit and Mukesh then combined well and revived the team`s sagging fortunes.
Amit has so far struck 13 fours in his unbeaten 197-ball knock while Mukesh`s 179-ball stay at the crease was studded with eight fours and a six.
At stumps, Rishi Dhawan was giving company to Amit on 18.
For Goa, Gawas and left-arm spinner Shadab Jakati took two wickets each.
Himachal 1st innnings: 210 for five in 90 overs (Amit Kumar 76 not out, Mukesh Sharma 73; Shadab Jakati 2/56).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players