Ranji Trophy, Karnataka vs UP: Debutant Sharath shines with five-for, Kaif hits ton
Meerut: Karnataka debutant Hosagivappa Sharath claimed five wickets, including that of Suresh Raina, before Mohammad Kaif bailed Uttar Pradesh out of trouble with an unbeaten century on the first day of their Group B Ranji Trophy match here on Saturday.
Besides the left-handed Raina, the 19-year-old medium pacer sent back opener Ali Murtuza, and middle-order batsmen Parvinder Singh and Arish Alam after his team chose to field at the Bhamashah Stadium. He had figures of five for 44.
K P Appana picked up two wickets while there was one for Stuart Binny as Uttar Pradesh finished the day at 245 for eight in 82 overs.
India discard Kaif was the lone Uttar Pradesh to shine on a day when most of the other front-line batsmen struggled to get going.
Kaif remained unbeaten on 105 when stumps were drawn, while Imtiaz Ahmed was yet to open his account.
Kaif hit nine fours and a six during his 217-ball knock, and got support from Bhuvneshwar Kumar (36), Alam (27) and Piyush Chawla who scored 23.
Sent into bat, the hosts were in trouble straightaway losing Murtaza for a team score of seven, and were reeling at 40 for four by the 16th over.
Kaif and Alam stemmed the slide with a half-century stand before Uttar Pradesh lost three more wickets, which handed the advantage to the visitors.
But an 83-run partnership for the eight wicket between Kaif and Kumar helped the hosts stage another fightback.
Uttar Pradesh: 245 for eight in 82 overs (M Kaif 105 not out; H S Sharath 5/44).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India