Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra beat MP, enter knockout stage
Rajkot: Riding on a splendid bowling by debutant seamer Dharmendrasinh Jadeja, Saurashtra beat Madhya Pradesh by 227 runs on the fourth and final day of their Ranji Trophy Group A match and entered into knockout stage.
Playing his first Ranji Trophy, Jadeja scalped six wickets in Madhya Pradesh`s second innings giving away 51 runs off 26.4 overs, and was well supported by off spinner Kamlesh Makvana, who finished with three for 43.
After scoring 242 in the first innings, Saurashtra restricted MP to 135.
In the second essay, the hosts declared at 303 for four to set MP a target of 411, but the visitors were bowled out for 183.
Resuming at 89 for two, MP could add only 94 more runs before getting all out in 68.4 overs.
Jalaj Saxena (75) and Rameez Khan (31) were the only batsmen for Madhya Pradesh, who resisted Jadeja-Makvana duo.
Saxena and Khan added 85 runs for the third wicket and at that stage it looked as if MP would save the match but once Khan was bowled out by Jadeja, rest of the batsmen surrendered against the pace-spin duo.
The match was crucial for both the sides to enter into knockout rounds where MP needed only three points, while an outright win was required for the hosts.
With this win, Saurashtra earned six points and improved their position with 23 points.
Saurashtra: 242 & 303 for four decl
Madhya Pradesh: 135 & 183 all out in 68.4 overs (Jalaj Saxena 75, Rameez Khan 31; Dharmendrasinh Jadeja 6/51, Kamlesh Makvana 3-43).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case