Rohit Sharma reprimanded for show of ire at umpire
Mumbai: Mumbai skipper Rohit Sharma was on Tuesday reprimanded by BCCI match referee P Kalyan Sunderam for showing dissent at the umpire`s decision during the fourth and final day`s play in the Ranji Trophy league game against Bengal.
Sharma showed his disgust when umpire Sudhir Asnani turned down a caught behind appeal against Wridhman Saha off Avishkar Salvi when the batsman was battling hard to save the game for his team.
The Mumbai captain flung his cap on the ground and was also seen spitting after the umpire did not give Saha out when the ball passed close to his bat as he tried to withdraw it.
Sharma was obviously upset at a dropped catch earlier by teammate Kshemal Waingankar off Saha when the batsman was on 7 and the umpire`s dismissal of the home team`s confident appeal triggered the angry reaction which was witnessed by the umpires and the match referee.
Saha remained unbeaten on 38 and helped Bengal save the game from a precarious situation of 166 for 5 after lunch.
"Rohit has been reprimanded by the match referee," said Mumbai team manager Shrikant Tigdi when contacted by PTI after the drawn encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre