Sachin Tendulkar receives award for fastest ton in Ranji
Mumbai: Senior cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who played a crucial role in Mumbai`s conquest of their 40th Ranji Trophy title this season, on Wednesday received award for striking the fastest century in the national championship at the annual awards function of Mumbai Cricket Association here.
Tendulkar, who slammed the century against Railways at the Wankhede Stadium, received the award at the hands of fellow Mumbai stalwart and former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar, with several former Test and first-class cricketers present.
The Mumbai Ranji Trophy team was also felicitated for achieving their stupendous feat. They beat Saurashtra by an innings.
Interestingly, along with other members of the team, the name of Ankit Chavan, arrested by Delhi police in spot-fixing scandal this month, too was called out. Nobody came forward to receive the award on his behalf.
Also getting the award for scoring the fastest hundreds in Ranji were Ajinkya Rahane (2010-11) and Rohit Sharma, in absentia, for 2011-12.
Five former cricketers -- Vengsarkar, Chandu Pandit, Sandeep Patil, Abey Kuruvilla and woman cricketer Vrindha Bhagat -- got special awards. Former MCA president and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar was the chief guest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends