Saxena picks five-for as Bengal dismiss Saurashtra for 209
Rajkot: Left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena`s career-best figures of five for 17 helped Bengal dismiss hosts Saurashtra for a meagre 209 in a Ranji Trophy Group A match here on Saturday.
Saxena grabbed five wickets in only 12.3 overs as Saurashtra, who were comfortably placed at 174 for four, lost their last six wickets for only 35 runs. It was Saxena`s spell after tea that did the trick for Bengal who are desperate for an outright win.
Ravindra Jadeja top-scored for his side with a well made 70 but there wasn`t much support from the middle and lower order batsmen. Jadeja hit seven fours and a six in his 117- ball knock.
At stumps, Bengal were seven without loss.
Saurashtra skipper Jaydev Shah won the toss and elected to bat.
However, the Saurashtra team management decided to keep the surface bone dry and didn`t water the pitch suitably.
That resulted in the pitch offering turn from the third session of the first day and this match may well have an outright result unless Bengal bat long enough to clinch three points. Saurashtra have included third specialist spinner Nayan Doshi (former India spinner Dilip Doshi`s son).
Openers Bhushan Chauhan and veteran Shitansu Kotak started in a sedate manner, adding 64 runs for the opening wicket before Laxmi Ratan Shukla, coming in as third change, trapped the right-hander leg before for 22.
40-year-oldd Kotak, who is probably the oldest player in the tournament, reached 40 off 93 balls with seven fours before Dinda induced an edge that flew to skipper Manoj Tiwary in the slips.
Saurashtra lost just two wickets going into the lunch session. Another in-form player, Sagar Jogiyani, was caught by Wriddhiman Saha of Sourav Sarkar`s bowling. Skipper Saha was also caught behind off Shami Ahmed and Saurashtra were reduced to 133 for four.
Jadeja took the attack back to the opposition camp but Saxena`s post-tea spell of 11.3 unchanged overs turned out to be deadly as he removed one batsmen after another. From 174 for four, they suddenly lost wickets in a heap with Jadeja being seventh out.
Brief Scores: Saurashtra 209 all out in 79.3 overs (Ravindra Jadeja 70, Shitanshu Kotak 40, Iresh Saxena 5/17). Bengal 7/0 in 4 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam