Saxena picks five-for as Bengal dismiss Saurashtra for 209
Rajkot: Left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena`s career-best figures of five for 17 helped Bengal dismiss hosts Saurashtra for a meagre 209 in a Ranji Trophy Group A match here on Saturday.
Saxena grabbed five wickets in only 12.3 overs as Saurashtra, who were comfortably placed at 174 for four, lost their last six wickets for only 35 runs. It was Saxena`s spell after tea that did the trick for Bengal who are desperate for an outright win.
Ravindra Jadeja top-scored for his side with a well made 70 but there wasn`t much support from the middle and lower order batsmen. Jadeja hit seven fours and a six in his 117- ball knock.
At stumps, Bengal were seven without loss.
Saurashtra skipper Jaydev Shah won the toss and elected to bat.
However, the Saurashtra team management decided to keep the surface bone dry and didn`t water the pitch suitably.
That resulted in the pitch offering turn from the third session of the first day and this match may well have an outright result unless Bengal bat long enough to clinch three points. Saurashtra have included third specialist spinner Nayan Doshi (former India spinner Dilip Doshi`s son).
Openers Bhushan Chauhan and veteran Shitansu Kotak started in a sedate manner, adding 64 runs for the opening wicket before Laxmi Ratan Shukla, coming in as third change, trapped the right-hander leg before for 22.
40-year-oldd Kotak, who is probably the oldest player in the tournament, reached 40 off 93 balls with seven fours before Dinda induced an edge that flew to skipper Manoj Tiwary in the slips.
Saurashtra lost just two wickets going into the lunch session. Another in-form player, Sagar Jogiyani, was caught by Wriddhiman Saha of Sourav Sarkar`s bowling. Skipper Saha was also caught behind off Shami Ahmed and Saurashtra were reduced to 133 for four.
Jadeja took the attack back to the opposition camp but Saxena`s post-tea spell of 11.3 unchanged overs turned out to be deadly as he removed one batsmen after another. From 174 for four, they suddenly lost wickets in a heap with Jadeja being seventh out.
Brief Scores: Saurashtra 209 all out in 79.3 overs (Ravindra Jadeja 70, Shitanshu Kotak 40, Iresh Saxena 5/17). Bengal 7/0 in 4 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks