Saxena picks five-for as Bengal dismiss Saurashtra for 209
Rajkot: Left-arm spinner Iresh Saxena`s career-best figures of five for 17 helped Bengal dismiss hosts Saurashtra for a meagre 209 in a Ranji Trophy Group A match here on Saturday.
Saxena grabbed five wickets in only 12.3 overs as Saurashtra, who were comfortably placed at 174 for four, lost their last six wickets for only 35 runs. It was Saxena`s spell after tea that did the trick for Bengal who are desperate for an outright win.
Ravindra Jadeja top-scored for his side with a well made 70 but there wasn`t much support from the middle and lower order batsmen. Jadeja hit seven fours and a six in his 117- ball knock.
At stumps, Bengal were seven without loss.
Saurashtra skipper Jaydev Shah won the toss and elected to bat.
However, the Saurashtra team management decided to keep the surface bone dry and didn`t water the pitch suitably.
That resulted in the pitch offering turn from the third session of the first day and this match may well have an outright result unless Bengal bat long enough to clinch three points. Saurashtra have included third specialist spinner Nayan Doshi (former India spinner Dilip Doshi`s son).
Openers Bhushan Chauhan and veteran Shitansu Kotak started in a sedate manner, adding 64 runs for the opening wicket before Laxmi Ratan Shukla, coming in as third change, trapped the right-hander leg before for 22.
40-year-oldd Kotak, who is probably the oldest player in the tournament, reached 40 off 93 balls with seven fours before Dinda induced an edge that flew to skipper Manoj Tiwary in the slips.
Saurashtra lost just two wickets going into the lunch session. Another in-form player, Sagar Jogiyani, was caught by Wriddhiman Saha of Sourav Sarkar`s bowling. Skipper Saha was also caught behind off Shami Ahmed and Saurashtra were reduced to 133 for four.
Jadeja took the attack back to the opposition camp but Saxena`s post-tea spell of 11.3 unchanged overs turned out to be deadly as he removed one batsmen after another. From 174 for four, they suddenly lost wickets in a heap with Jadeja being seventh out.
Brief Scores: Saurashtra 209 all out in 79.3 overs (Ravindra Jadeja 70, Shitanshu Kotak 40, Iresh Saxena 5/17). Bengal 7/0 in 4 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30