Services in command against Assam
New Delhi: Rajat Paliwal struck an unbeaten century as Services build a strong 120-run lead over Assam on the second day of their Ranji Trophy Group C match here on Sunday.
Paliwal`s innings was the highlight of the day, which otherwise witnessed wickets tumbling at regular intervals.
The 21-year-old right hander, who came to the crease at the fall of Yashpal Singh (18), showed no signs of nervousness as he compiled his second first-class century to help Services finish the day on 302 for eight in response to Assam`s first innings total of 182.
At the draw of stumps, Paliwal was batting on 143 and giving him company was Nishan Singh on eight.
With Services struggling at precarious four for 78, Paliwal mixed caution with aggression at the beginning of his innings. But, once settled, Paliwal took the Assam bowlers to the sword hitting 16 hits to the fence during his unbeaten stay at the wicket.
Starting the day at 11 for no loss, Services lost wickets at regular intervals. The first to go was skipper Soomik Chatarjee (11), edging one to wicketkeeper Rajdeep Das off the bowling of Arup Das.
Anshul Gupta followed suit ten runs later.
Soumya Swain contributed useful 33 runs to the total before he returned to the hut and with Yashpal departing eight runs later, things did not look good for Services. But Paliwal kept the one end going.
The all-rounder added 53 runs for the seventh wicket before summing another 68 for the eighth wicket to help Services reach 302 at the close.
Assam 1st innings: 181 all out
Services 1st innings: 302 for eight in 91 overs (Rajat Paliwal batting 143; Arup Das 78/3).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal